Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Famous People You Have Met

1. Jun 1, 2005 #1
    Could be after a concert, or lecture, you got to shake the great person's hand. Who was it, and what were the circumstances?

I got introduced to Joe Piscopo years ago when I was visiting a friend who did makeup at NBC NY. He worked Saturday Night Live. I saw Eddie Murphy running around in the halls being chased by two babes, but didn't meet him. My friend steered me away from a room where Lorne Michaels who became the inspiration for Mike Meyers' Dr. Evil was talking to someone, so I didn't meet Dr. Evil either. So, all I met was Joe Piscopo and the other makeup artists.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2005 #2
    i have a cousin who met Robert DeNiro in Paris...he has a picture taken of him with DeNiro

my mom once met Santana in the 70s in Brussels and my brother once met BONO in Antwerp

i met Sean Bean in Ghent
    i had the chance of meeting Luciano Pavarotti in 1998 in Paris but it did not work out. I do have met a lot of Belgian politicians from the far left to the ulra right ...
    marlon

ps i am hoping to meet EVO, Danger, SpaceTiger, Stoned, heman, and Humanino some day

4. Jun 1, 2005 #3
    I didn't actually meet him, but I went to take a guitar lesson at a music store and there was a guy sitting there trying out some guitars. He was really good. I went back to the practice room with my teacher and he said, "Do you know who that was?" I told him I didn't. He said, "That was Ed King, a Guitar player with Lynyrd Skynyrd!"

Another time, I was coming into a restaurant and Andre the Giant and his manager (another pro wrestler whose name escapes me), were coming out. He looked like a nice guy, a little embarrassed that he barely fit through the door.

5. Jun 1, 2005 #4
    What was the problem? Was Newton standing on his shoulders again?

6. Jun 1, 2005 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Elvis. I've met Elvis. He's still the King.

7. Jun 1, 2005 #6
    Yeah, and with Einstein on his, they were enourmous. :wink:

8. Jun 1, 2005 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I met Jamie Cullum, we had quite a good chat about how much better my music was than his. I also bump into Jarvis Cocker quite a bit when I'm back home, he's a nice guy. And I played frisbee with Prince Naseem Hamed last summer!

9. Jun 1, 2005 #8
    I play poker on weekends with Tony Blair and his wife, also have had more than a jag with Mr Putin drinking vodka in a muscovite tavern; last summer I made a trip to the Seychelles Islands in company of Britney Spears, and there I happened to meet personally the president of the NASA!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  10. Jun 1, 2005 #9

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jack Hanna (the animal guy you see on the Letterman show a lot). When working at a bookstore one summer, I got to carry in some of his setup for a book signing. Just being a teen at the time, he didn't let me carry any live animals. I still hold a little grudge. :smile:

One of my college math profs was supposedly a friend of Einstein.

I once stood next to Robin Williams at a cafe...and he knew I knew who he was...but I didn't bother him for an autograph.

11. Jun 1, 2005 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I shook Richard Nixon's hand (dish rag?) when he visited our High school during his 1968 campaign.

12. Jun 1, 2005 #11
    I met the queen in portsmouth.

13. Jun 1, 2005 #12

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Let's see here...

- Maynard Ferguson
    - Steve Martin and Victoria Tennant (they were married at the time)
    - Dan and Marylin Quale
    - Shirley Temple

14. Jun 1, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, don't think so. I could have and would have never known, I probably would be wondering why they looked vaguely familiar to me, or why there was some big crowd of people hanging around.

Do I count? I've been on TV once, for about a minute of my lifetime 15 minutes of fame (oh, so I guess the guy from the CBS morning news who I was talking with counts as someone famous...I have a picture of him with one of those shiny silvery reflective umbrellas they use for the lighting in the background, and their electricians fixed our dorm PA system while tapping into the power supply for the lights and cameras...but I can't even remember that guy's name). I didn't do anything special to get on TV other than be willing to wake up at 4 or 5 AM so the crew could use my dorm room for filming while doing one of their campus tour things...they needed a room on my side of the building so they could get the view they wanted out the window and to avoid the glare of the morning sun. My picture was in the local newspaper once too...silly college protest march thing (that's what you do when in college, right?).

Oh, and of course, how could I forget! I've met Mickey Mouse!!! :biggrin:

15. Jun 1, 2005 #14
    I used to go to school with Sting's daughter and my mum used to go for cigarettes with him at our school plays and stuff. I know the keyboard player and the bassist from the Kaiser Chiefs a little bit cos the singer from my band worked in a pub with them. I have a pair of Mick Jagger's socks which my brother won at a raffle. I never met him but it's pretty cool to wear his socks. The singer from D:ream came round to my house for a party once. I met Tre Cool, the drummer from Green Day, at Leeds Festival last year when I snuck backstage, and Justin Hawkins from the Darkness the year before that, who went to the same music college as me but at a different time. I used to live next door to Trevor Jones who's a film music composer, he did Labrynth and Aracnophobia and Last of the Mohicans and lots of other stuff. I met Peter O'Toole and Ted Danson at a film premiere he'd done once too. I've met lots of famous people.

16. Jun 1, 2005 #15

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My best mate's mum used to go out with Joe Cocker!

You going to Leeds this year ic?

17. Jun 1, 2005 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You ought to. :smile:

18. Jun 1, 2005 #17

JamesU

Gold Member

Since moonbear is famous for being on tv, I'm famous. I've been on TV 3 times I think

19. Jun 1, 2005 #18
    I was on TV 8 times but then i came to know the news channel was a fraud.

20. Jun 1, 2005 #19

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was serious about Elvis you know.

Elvis Costello that is.

21. Jun 1, 2005 #20

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I've shaken hands with Carl Palmer and got his autograph at a drum clinic.

I'm going. Perhaps I'll run into you if you're going.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?