Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Famous physics families

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1
    I heard that a son [Erwin] of Max Planck was executed for trying to assassinate Hitler.

What notables have you learned about the "relativity" of physicists?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 7, 2012 #3
    John Baez is cousin to Joan Baez and Mimi Fariña.

5. Jan 7, 2012 #4

jedishrfu

6. Jan 7, 2012 #5
    Newton's niece was a real looker and very charming. When she moved into his home Newton became a much more popular physicist than he'd ever been before she joined him.

7. Jan 7, 2012 #6
    Olivia Newton-John is Max Born's granddaughter.

8. Jan 7, 2012 #7
    Einstein had a cousin, Elsa Löwenthal, who married a famous physicist.

9. Jan 7, 2012 #8
    Feynman's adopted daughter, Michelle, ended up being closely related to a Nobel Prize winner.

10. Jul 27, 2012 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just heard about this and was going to make a post. How about that? I looooooved Olivia. It seems fitting. :approve:

I guess you could say a star is Born! And now I understand why they named her Newton.

11. Jul 27, 2012 #10
    If Olivia Newton-John married John Travolta she'd be Olivia Newton-John Travolta.

12. Jul 27, 2012 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The physics family that exhibited wave-particle duality: J.J Thompson won a Nobel prize for showing that the electron is a particle; G. P. Thompson, J.J.'s son, won a Nobel prize for showing the electron is a wave.

13. Jul 27, 2012 #12

jtbell

Niels Bohr's son Aage became a nuclear physicist and won a Nobel Prize.

14. Jul 28, 2012 #13

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Curie family: Marie and Pierre (both physics Nobel Laureates), their daughter Irene and husband Frederic Joiliot, - Nobel prize in chemistry. Irene's & Frederic's daughter Helene is currently a nuclear physicist at University of Paris. Helene's brother Pierre is a biophysicist. Helene's son Yves is an astrophysicist.

15. Jul 28, 2012 #14
    Bragg father and son - they both shared a Nobel I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook