Physics Legacy: The Bragg Family's Nobel Prize-Winning Contributions

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a son of Max Planck was executed for trying to assassinate Hitler. notable physicists who have studied relativity include Hugh Everett III and Mark Oliver Everett, John Baez is cousin to Joan Baez and Mimi Fariña, three of Charles Darwin's children went on to be members of the Royal Society, Newton's niece was a real looker, when she moved into his home Newton became a much more popular physicist, Olivia Newton-John is Max Born's granddaughter, Einstein had a cousin, Elsa Löwenthal, who married a famous physicist, Feynman's adopted daughter, Michelle, ended up being closely related to a Nobel Prize winner, Olivia Newton-John is Max Born's granddaughter, and the physics family
Loren Booda
I heard that a son [Erwin] of Max Planck was executed for trying to assassinate Hitler.

What notables have you learned about the "relativity" of physicists?

Physics news on Phys.org
John Baez is cousin to Joan Baez and Mimi Fariña.

Newton's niece was a real looker and very charming. When she moved into his home Newton became a much more popular physicist than he'd ever been before she joined him.

Olivia Newton-John is Max Born's granddaughter.

Einstein had a cousin, Elsa Löwenthal, who married a famous physicist.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Einstein had a cousin, Elsa Löwenthal, who married a famous physicist.
Feynman's adopted daughter, Michelle, ended up being closely related to a Nobel Prize winner.

chronon said:
Olivia Newton-John is Max Born's granddaughter.

I just heard about this and was going to make a post. How about that? I looooooved Olivia. It seems fitting. :approve:

I guess you could say a star is Born! And now I understand why they named her Newton.

If Olivia Newton-John married John Travolta she'd be Olivia Newton-John Travolta.

The physics family that exhibited wave-particle duality: J.J Thompson won a Nobel prize for showing that the electron is a particle; G. P. Thompson, J.J.'s son, won a Nobel prize for showing the electron is a wave.

Niels Bohr's son Aage became a nuclear physicist and won a Nobel Prize.

The Curie family: Marie and Pierre (both physics Nobel Laureates), their daughter Irene and husband Frederic Joiliot, - Nobel prize in chemistry. Irene's & Frederic's daughter Helene is currently a nuclear physicist at University of Paris. Helene's brother Pierre is a biophysicist. Helene's son Yves is an astrophysicist.

Bragg father and son - they both shared a Nobel I think.

1. Who are some of the most well-known families in the field of physics?

Some of the most famous physics families include the Curie family, the Einstein family, the Bohr family, the Feynman family, and the Newton family.

2. What contributions did the Curie family make to the field of physics?

The Curie family, particularly Marie Curie and her husband Pierre Curie, made groundbreaking discoveries in the field of radioactivity and the isolation of new elements, such as radium and polonium. Their daughter, Irene Joliot-Curie, also made significant contributions to nuclear physics.

3. How did the Einstein family impact the world of physics?

The Einstein family is most well-known for Albert Einstein's theory of relativity and his famous equation, E=mc². However, his wife Mileva Marić and his son Hans Albert also made contributions to the field, with Mileva collaborating on some of Einstein's early work and Hans becoming a renowned hydraulic engineer.

4. What is the significance of the Bohr family in physics?

The Bohr family is known for their contributions to quantum mechanics, with Niels Bohr developing the Bohr model of the atom and winning the Nobel Prize in Physics for it. His son, Aage Bohr, also won the Nobel Prize for his work on the structure of atomic nuclei.

5. How did the Feynman family impact the world of physics?

The Feynman family is known for their contributions to theoretical physics, with Richard Feynman winning the Nobel Prize for his work on quantum electrodynamics and his daughter, Michelle Feynman, becoming a prominent astrophysicist and author. His son, Carl Feynman, also made contributions to the field of computer science.