What is the Role of Cosmology in Our Understanding of the Universe?

• Thread starter marryrene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, the conversation revolves around a famous quote from a science book that the speaker cannot remember the name of. The quote states that all knowledge is in principle part of cosmology, which suggests that all phenomena are part of the universe. The speaker is curious if anyone has read about this quote and can provide information on the book or speaker. The other person in the conversation is not familiar with the quote and does not believe human behavior falls under the realm of cosmology.
marryrene
Once I read a famous quote from a science book, but I do remember the name of the book, neither the name of the speaker.
The general idea of the famous quote is that,
"All the knowledge we have are in principle some parts of cosmology."
It implies that since all the phenomena we see are parts of universe, all the knowledge on the phenomena are also in principle parts of cosmology.

So, I wonder if any people ever read about this quote? Could anyone tell me about the name of the book, or the name of the speaker? It will be very helpful to me!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the quote but it seems like a wickedly long stretch. Yes, humans are made from stardust but human behavior does not seem to me to be in the domain of cosmology.

What is the meaning of the famous quote "The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine"?

The quote is often attributed to British astronomer Sir Arthur Eddington and is meant to convey the idea that our understanding of the universe is limited by our human perceptions and imaginations. The universe is full of phenomena and mysteries that are beyond our current comprehension.

Who said the famous quote "We are made of star-stuff" and what does it mean?

This quote is often attributed to American astronomer Carl Sagan and is meant to convey the idea that the elements and atoms that make up our bodies were created in the cores of stars billions of years ago. It highlights the interconnectedness of all matter in the universe.

What is the significance of the famous quote "The cosmos is within us. We are made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself."?

This quote is also from Carl Sagan and emphasizes the idea that humans are intimately connected to the universe and are a way for the universe to understand and explore itself. It highlights the role of consciousness in the study of cosmology.

What does the famous quote "The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" mean?

This quote is from Albert Einstein and reflects his belief that the laws of the universe are comprehensible and can be understood by human minds. However, the complexity and vastness of the universe can also make it seem incomprehensible at times.

What is the message behind the famous quote "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you"?

This quote is from American astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson and is meant to convey the idea that the universe and its laws do not have to conform to our human understanding or expectations. It serves as a reminder of the limits of our knowledge and the vastness of the cosmos.