1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fan Design

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    Does anyone know about the parameters that affect the design of fan? For example, is there an optimum number of blades, or optimum curvature and shape for the blade? I suppose this has to do with fluid mechanics (which I know nuts)? Which particular equations am I looking for? Is there any book I could refer to? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Well, you're asking some relatively broad questions. There are no easy answers. There are some folks in my company that get paid a lot of money to do the very thing that you are asking. For example, the solidity of a fan (the ratio of the number of blades vs. open area) is a tradeoff in what you need the fan to do.

There are basics that one should know when talking about fans. Here is a pretty good link on industrial fans for some reading:
    http://www.tcf.com/tcfblower/literature.htm#eng

For more in depth design and engineering data, you'll need to start looking at topics such as:
    https://www.amazon.com/Axial-Flow-F...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206461455&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  4. Feb 20, 2009 #3
    hai..
    i'm still new in enginerng..
    i need to design a fan system that can push
    an object with 0.5kg in weight..
    did you have any idea?
    really hope your respond..

5. Feb 20, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You have provided nowhere near enough information for us to help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook