Analysis of Hubbed Axial Flow Fan

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over using the "one stage" approach for compressor design or another method for a hubbed axial flow fan. The aim is to conduct a simplistic analysis of tipspeed or Critical Mach numbers, but most available material considers multiple stages. The focus is on using massflow, hub to tip ratio, pressure, temperature, etc. for a propeller design. The conversation also mentions borrowing the Fan Handbook from the library and provides a source for learning about fan design.
aeronautical
Hey everybody,
I am about to make some simplistic fan analysis for a hubbed axial flow fan (Single stage). What makes me confused is if I should use the classical "one stage" approach for compressor design or if there is another way to do this?! My aim is to carry out a simplistic analysis of tipspeed or Critical Mach numbers. Now, all the material I have found consider the effects of a number stages before this can be done. But the purpose of my fan is just to provide thrust as a propulsor and not the way it is conventionally done in a jet engine. I know that I have to use: the massflow, hub to tip ratio, pressure, temperature, etc for this...Any thoughts on the approach? Does anybody know of a good book to consider. I will borrow the Fan Handbook from the library today.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are describing a propeller.

Here is a good source to learn about design.

https://www.navybmr.com/study%20material/14008a/14008A_ch8.pdf

1. What is a hubbed axial flow fan?

A hubbed axial flow fan is a type of fan that consists of a central hub and multiple blades that rotate around it in a circular motion. It is commonly used in various applications such as ventilation, cooling, and air circulation.

2. How does a hubbed axial flow fan work?

A hubbed axial flow fan works by using the principles of centrifugal force to move air. As the blades rotate, they create a low-pressure area behind them, which causes air to be drawn in from the front and pushed outwards in a radial direction.

3. What are the advantages of using a hubbed axial flow fan?

Some advantages of using a hubbed axial flow fan include high efficiency, low noise levels, compact design, and the ability to handle large volumes of air. They are also relatively easy to install and maintain.

4. How is the performance of a hubbed axial flow fan analyzed?

The performance of a hubbed axial flow fan is analyzed by measuring parameters such as air flow rate, pressure difference, and power consumption. These measurements are then used to calculate metrics such as fan efficiency, total pressure rise, and power coefficient.

5. What factors affect the performance of a hubbed axial flow fan?

The performance of a hubbed axial flow fan can be affected by factors such as blade design, rotational speed, inlet and outlet conditions, and the type of motor used. Other external factors such as altitude, temperature, and humidity can also impact the fan's performance.