Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fan generating electricity

1. Apr 26, 2014 #1
    Other people must have come up with this before, but what if we attach a lever to a rotating fan. The lever can be attached to a bulb to run it, or maybe something like a Leyden jar or a KERS, (mind me if its the wrong device, i am just a rookie) to store it. So wont the house be self sufficient?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

If you mean an electric fan instead of a wind generator.
    Losses (you can't get something from nothing), it's more efficient to just run the bulb directly from the same supply as the fan.

boylespmm.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  4. Apr 26, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would like to interest the OP in my idea for dehydrated water. It makes it much easier to ship and it doesn't dry up like the real thing.

5. Apr 26, 2014 #4
    Fan generating electricity.

I meant that when people are using the fan normally. Like when you are feeling hot. That time all the energy produced can be used

6. Apr 26, 2014 #5

nsaspook

Science Advisor

There are waste energy recover systems but a small cooling fan is not very efficient in converting electrical energy to energy in air flow (<<50%) so by the time you build the mechanical turbine system and generator(with their own losses) you won't have much left to keep you cool if you need more than milliwatts of power for a bulb.

7. Apr 26, 2014 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You aren't being very descriptive, but what you are saying sounds wrong: an electric fan consumes energy, it doesn't generate it.

8. Apr 26, 2014 #7
    Yeah, while consuming that electricity, it rotates,generating a lot of kinetic energy. Now what if we attach a lever to one of the rotating blades. That lever attached to a device which can store that energy, which can be consumed later.

9. Apr 27, 2014 #8

nsaspook

Science Advisor

The fan motor will just use more electricity (in a very inefficient manner), as you increase the load the motor 'slip' will increase drawing more current to generate the needed extra torque and causing additional resistive heat losses. It's a Rube Goldberg idea for energy storage.

10. Apr 27, 2014 #9
    Thank you.

11. Apr 27, 2014 #10
    Ya..you will be loading (or perhaps over loading) the motor and the motor will suck more current/power...you may want to try another fan against this one as is done in a fluid coupling....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook