Is Virgin Galactic's SpaceshipTwo the Future of Space Travel?

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, Virgin Galactic has unveiled their spacecraft, SpaceShip2, which is the first commercial manned spaceship. There is excitement and potential for low launch prices for microsats. The craft is named "Eve" after Richard Branson's mother and there is hope for a booked schedule. However, there is skepticism from some about the actual progress and competition from other companies such as SpaceX. Despite this, Virgin Galactic aims to popularize spaceflight and make it more accessible to citizens.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The bearded one has unveiled (possibly) the first commercial spaceship.

http://www.virgingalactic.com/news/item/virgin-galactic-unveils-spaceshiptwo-the-worlds-first-commercial-manned-spaceship/

Nasa is definitely my favorite for the government agency that needs a kick from the private sector, and if it goes wrong it blows up a few billionaires. Basically no downside!

They also think it could lead to very low launch prices for microsats

ps Do you get airmiles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
He named the craft Eve after his mother. She seemed thrilled in the news-spot earlier tonight. Good for him - I hope he has enough millionaires and billionaires to keep the craft's schedule booked solid.

mgb_phys said:
Nasa is definitely my favorite for the government agency that needs a kick from the private sector
Agreed, but this isn't it.
They also think it could lead to very low launch prices for microsats
Who thinks that? This comes nowhere close to the energy required for achieving orbit.
ps Do you get airmiles?
Since it launches and lands at the same spot, I suppose they could award you zero...

mgb_phys said:
ps Do you get airmiles?

Nope, no air in space. Maybe you can get vacuum miles.

What's your estimates on the year it costs...$10,000 dollars to go into a low Earth orbit "vacation" versus the millions it costs today?

russ_watters said:
Agreed, but this isn't it.
Still a good start.
I was trying to find the link to that famous article "how the west wasn't won" where it described how the US would have been colonized if Nasa had been doing it.

Who thinks that? This comes nowhere close to the energy required for achieving orbit.
I think their idea was to replace the manned part with a booster rather like the pegasus system and use the mothership/plane to carry it upto altitude before launching.

Since it launches and lands at the same spot, I suppose they could award you zero...
Yes they said that about the Kuiper Airborne Observatory - the operations were outsourced to United but you didn't get airmiles with your observing time because it landed at the same place.

nickdk said:
What's your estimates on the year it costs...$10,000 dollars to go into a low Earth orbit "vacation" versus the millions it costs today?
Never.

mgb_phys said:
Still a good start.
Like jumping on a trampoline is a good start to leaping over buildings like Superman?

No, it's really not a "good start" towards anything. I'm all for capitalism and I wish Branson all the best (and if I had the money, I'd book a flight), but this is just a self-contained joyride for the super-rich. It has no implications for orbital or even just trans-continental spaceflight.
I think their idea was to replace the manned part with a booster rather like the pegasus system and use the mothership/plane to carry it upto altitude before launching.
Oh, well, perhaps - but the way all the hype reads to me, this is supposed to be a step toward true commercial manned spaceflight. In any case, the mothership idea isn't really all that useful anyway - it doesn't go very high or very fast.

As Russ points out, this is still the same old straight-up-straight-down trajectory. That puts them about (... let's see ... 0 - 25,000 = ...) 25,000mph too slow.

Virgin Galactic has competition of course, the Spacex

www.spacex.com

which will specialize in commercial satellite launches, and eventually putting people in the low Earth orbit.

Bronson is an idiot. Rutan is milking Bronson for what money he can to keep Scaled Composites running. In the end they are nowhere near a feat even noteworthy of anything NASA has done. Dump on them all you want but they are still the best game in town. Period.

waht said:
Virgin Galactic has competition of course, the Spacex

www.spacex.com

which will specialize in commercial satellite launches, and eventually putting people in the low Earth orbit.
See, this is just what I'm talking about - the type of thing that annoys me. Virgin Galactic and SpaceX are not in competition with each other. Where did you get the idea that they were? SpaceX is a real commercial spaceflight venture, Virgin Galactic is not. What SpaceShip2 does is nowhere close to what the Falcon9 is intended to do. I honestly don't understand the hype behind Virgin Galactic. It's an expensive roller coaster, nothing more.

FredGarvin said:
Dump on them all you want but they are still the best game in town. Period.

Not for the average millionaire. This is about space tourism, and Virgin is the only game in town... unless your town is Moscow.

I heard they already have 300 people signed up.

russ_watters said:
See, this is just what I'm talking about - the type of thing that annoys me. Virgin Galactic and SpaceX are not in competition with each other. Where did you get the idea that they were? SpaceX is a real commercial spaceflight venture, Virgin Galactic is not. What SpaceShip2 does is nowhere close to what the Falcon9 is intended to do. I honestly don't understand the hype behind Virgin Galactic. It's an expensive roller coaster, nothing more.
What Virgin Galactic will (hopefully) do is popularize spaceflight by putting the idea of it within arm's reach of citizens. It doesn't matter whether this one is real orbital spaceflight, as long as people like the idea and approve money going into commerical spaceflight.

russ_watters said:
SpaceX is a real commercial spaceflight venture,
But not much of a breakthrough.
SpaceX buys rocket motors from an aerospace company and launches them from cape Canaveral under a guaranteed contract from Nasa .
Is this any different from Nasa buying rockets from an aerospace company and launching them - other than an accounting trick?

DaveC426913 said:
What Virgin Galactic will (hopefully) do is popularize spaceflight by putting the idea of it within arm's reach of citizens. It doesn't matter whether this one is real orbital spaceflight, as long as people like the idea and approve money going into commerical spaceflight.

The 65-mile high club. Zero-G babies. What more need be said?

Ivan Seeking said:
The 65-mile high club. Zero-G babies. What more need be said?

Not sure if you're being facetious.

Popularizing = funding.

DaveC426913 said:

I was serious about the notion of popular fads. I have no doubt that going to space will be a symbol of social status.

I also have no doubt that some folks would gladly pay 200K to join the 65-mile high club, in the Biblical sense. :biggrin:

Last edited:
They should wait for the space elevator to be built before taking people to space. That would probably be a lot safer and cheaper. And if you had some extra cash, they can take you from there to the moon for a couple of hours.

Ivan Seeking said:
Not for the average millionaire. This is about space tourism, and Virgin is the only game in town... unless your town is Moscow.

I heard they already have 300 people signed up.
I meant in terms of actually reaching space. Not this idiotic space tourism crud.

russ_watters said:

What trip to space isn't a roller coaster ride?

I never said the companies were rivals. They are the first commercial entitles that deal with going into space as defined by a 100 km boundary above the Earth - even for a few minutes. Hence I don't see any hype about their advertisements.

The hype is rather more philosophical - the marking of a space fairing civilization. This is the kind of thing the publics needs, a spark of imagination.

Last edited:
leroyjenkens said:
They should wait for the space elevator to be built before taking people to space.
Unfortunately, you've got cause and effect reversed.

The space elevator will not be built until people have a renewed belief that space is within their reach.

mgb_phys said:
But not much of a breakthrough.
SpaceX buys rocket motors from an aerospace company and launches them from cape Canaveral under a guaranteed contract from Nasa .
I was under the impression that SpaceX is an aerospace company that has designed and built the Falcon9 from the ground-up.

DaveC426913 said:

Popularizing = funding.
Not sure if you are being facetious: funding for whom?

waht said:
I never said the companies were rivals.
I never said you said they were rivals. You said they are in competition with each other, I said they are not in competition with each other. I'll say it again: they are not in competition with each other. They do different things and have different target markets for their services.
They are the first commercial entitles that deal with going into space as defined by a 100 km boundary above the Earth - even for a few minutes. Hence I don't see any hype about their advertisements.
The hype is in the descriptions of the implications of the project. Ie:
He said he hopes the technology will lead to a new form of Earth travel, jetting people across oceans and continents faster through suborbital routes.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/12/07/branson.spaceship/index.html
As I said before, this is a stand-alone roller coaster ride with no ability to "lead to a new form of Earth travel."
The hype is rather more philosophical - the marking of a space fairing civilization. This is the kind of thing the publics needs, a spark of imagination.
I do like things that spark interest. I don't like false hope.

russ_watters said:
Not sure if you are being facetious: funding for whom?
By analogy:

"Green" technology is now very much in the public eye - it has been popularized. And now money is raining from the sky. Everyone in the environmental engineering industry can fill their pockets.

To be more explicit: once the public "likes" space again, money will flow fairly indiscriminately (in a good way).

russ_watters said:
He said he hopes the technology will lead to a new form of Earth travel, jetting people across oceans and continents faster through suborbital routes.

As I said before, this is a stand-alone roller coaster ride with no ability to "lead to a new form of Earth travel."
Now hang on, we were originally being skeptical about the gulf between a shot to the edge of space and Earth orbit - two very different things, we all agree.

But a shot to the edge of space and suborbital intercontinental flight are not nearly so far apart. I would grant that the one is not an unreasonable first step to the other. Are you saying this cannot be?

DaveC426913 said:
Unfortunately, you've got cause and effect reversed.

The space elevator will not be built until people have a renewed belief that space is within their reach.

Why wait for commercial space trips before building the space elevator? It would be useful right now for NASA to use.

Besides, my cause and effect isn't necessarily reversed. Why would people believe space is within their reach until there's a method for them to get there?

That's like trying to get people to believe they can fly before the airplane was built. They'll believe it when they see it.

leroyjenkens said:
Why wait for commercial space trips before building the space elevator? It would be useful right now for NASA to use.

Besides, my cause and effect isn't necessarily reversed. Why would people believe space is within their reach until there's a method for them to get there?

That's like trying to get people to believe they can fly before the airplane was built. They'll believe it when they see it.

Because the money must come first. The money comes from the public.

leroyjenkens said:

The technology necessary for a space elevator is not available yet. The cable for a space elevator would have to withstand 60-100 gigapascals of tension. Steel breaks at about 2 gpa. However, carbon nanotube technology is putting us closer to being able to make this cable. Carbon nanotube fiber can withstand roughly 120 gpa of pressure. Currently, scientists can only make these fibers a few mm in length. And even if they were able to build a carbon nanotube cable to space, a single atomic scale defect could reduce the overall strength by 70% dropping it below the 100 gpa of tension.

Until new technology becomes available or the carbon nanotube cables become a reality, we won't be seeing a space elevator.

Also, the comparison to building an airplane is fallacious in terms of scale. An airplane was built by two brothers in their garage.

It is generally-accepted that a space elevator is a feat too large for an entire nation. It will require the combined resources of several nations worldwide.

and there are no baby-steps in space elevators.

"You can't cross a canyon in two leaps." :wink:

Once the techonology is there and they figure out a way to divert mircometeorites around the cable and whatever other problems there are I think many nations will contribute to its construction. In the long run, it would save them tons of money.

russ_watters said:
I'll say it again: they are not in competition with each other. They do different things and have different target markets for their services.

I see your point.

The hype is in the descriptions of the implications of the project.

People are constantly exposed to false hope. From the words of every politician, to the plot of every sci-fi movie. Nothing is concrete - but an entertainment nonetheless.

But once Virgin Galactic starts earning cash, wouldn't they expand their business and design and build bigger and better models? Perhaps a shot to space with a 30 min cruise, and then coast down would be the next step - another intermediate link in the long chain of gradual progression. Perhaps many bright engineers working on the project will launch their own spinoff companies.

Also, the comparison to building an airplane is fallacious in terms of scale. An airplane was built by two brothers in their garage.
It's not fallacious since I wasn't comparing the cost. I didn't know you were talking about funding.

waht said:
What trip to space isn't a roller coaster ride?

I never said the companies were rivals. They are the first commercial entitles that deal with going into space as defined by a 100 km boundary above the Earth - even for a few minutes. Hence I don't see any hype about their advertisements.

Why is space defined by a 100 km boundary? That boundary means something to pilots, but it has nothing to do with actually orbiting the Earth.

None the less, the average person probably won't understand that. If the boundary's good enough for pilots, it will be good enough for a billionaire. It will inject money into space efforts, but how much? It's a 100 km high ballistic trajectory. You aren't in orbit; you don't get to watch the Earth underneath you; you don't get to call your family and friends from space; etc. It's only attraction lasts only as long as its rarity. Once a few millionaire/billionaires have made the trip, the market dries up, since the trip really has nothing real to offer.