Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fancy language

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    Is it just me, or is everyone suddenly using fancy language again? I remember about half a year ago everyone got their hands on this and started using big words, and then it died down. But now it seems to be flaring up again.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

This isn't fancy language; it's technical language. It's taught to everyone in Critical Thinking or Informal Logic classes that are part of the core requirement at most US universities, so posters who were college-educated in the US should, for the most part, know what these mean.

4. Oct 23, 2005 #3

Art

Or perhaps you are trying to kick it off again by supplying the ref lol

5. Oct 23, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These terms have been in constant use in scientific, mathematical, and philosophical circles.

6. Oct 23, 2005 #5

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Not to my knowledge.:confused:

7. Oct 23, 2005 #6
    Yes but not HERE.

8. Oct 23, 2005 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Yes, but there are people who post here who are also involved in these circles. Critical analysis of arguments and rhetoric are a huge part of the work I've been doing for several years now and these terms are par for the course.

9. Oct 23, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps some folks are trying to raise the level of discussion in this forum by challenging the respondents to support their arguments and uphold the standards we have throughout the rest of PF?

10. Oct 23, 2005 #9

Art

I agree that some posters do indeed appear to inebriated by the exuberance of their own vibrocity and with a mendacious leaning, resulting in a disgorgance of terminalogicalinexactitudes. :biggrin:

11. Oct 23, 2005 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Certainly not all of them are used in each of those fields, but some of them certainly are. The reason is that some faulty patterns of reasoning are so common that it has become standard just to call them by name rather than to go into a detailed rebuttal each and every time that pattern surfaces in someone's argument.

12. Oct 23, 2005 #11
    Exactly! THEY MUST BE STOPPED!
    You see!? Look at this madness!

13. Oct 23, 2005 #12

Art

Smurf, it was only a joke :biggrin:

I agree with you. The point of communication is to impart understanding to as wide an audience as possible and so if people decide to test their newly acquired vocabularies gleaned from a philosophy course they are taking they are clearly not going to communicate effectively with a substantial proportion of the other posters here.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  14. Oct 23, 2005 #13
    But this is like the perfect place to put into practice what you learn in class.

15. Oct 23, 2005 #14

Art

There's a philosophy forum to do that. This is a political forum.

Seeing as how most professional politicians can barely string a sentence together I am sure we can discuss their actions in plain English without resorting to highbrow language where the reader needs to sit with a dictionary in their hand whilst they try to decipher the language used to understand the points being made. Taking the post I made above that Smurf called madness as an example, whilst perfectly valid in terms of vocabulary and grammar it is meaningless gibberish to most.

nb They are actually statements used by Winston Churchill deliberately so that people would not understand what he was saying. In the house of commons an MP may not say another member has lied and so Churchill to circumvent this rule accused another member of speaking terminalogicalinexactitudes (another word for lies) as nobody had a clue what it meant he got away with it.

16. Oct 23, 2005 #15
    I agree and all but the philosophy forum lacks the interesting topics that this forum has.

That is an interesting bit of trivia about Winston Churchill by the way. :smile:

17. Oct 23, 2005 #16
    Maybe if we supply translations at the end of each post for the dumber readers of the forum, then everyone'd be happy.

18. Oct 23, 2005 #17
    How do you pronounce that? I want to use it in my class on tuesday!

19. Oct 23, 2005 #18
    Just make up your own pronunciation....after all it's not like anyone will know if you said it wrong.

20. Oct 23, 2005 #19

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It's actually spelled incorrectly, but it's just a compound word. Pronounce it as a series of simpler words: terminological in exactitudes.

21. Oct 23, 2005 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

By the way, allow me to quote to you from an article I am using as research for a presentation I'm giving:

That passage employs technical jargon from contemporary philosophy (largely borrowed from thermodynamics in this case). Since we're at a science forum, chances are that the average poster here will be able to read that more easily than I, but to the layperson it probably may as well be Sanskrit. The names of informal logical fallacies, in contrast, are relatively simple and well-known. Their usage is certainly not limited to academic philosophy and it would do anyone who makes arguments well to know them. After all, wouldn't you like to be able to catch yourself when you are making an error so common that it actually has its own name?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?