Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fans in CPU ?

1. May 22, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

I just opened my desk PC case for cleaning. There are fans, one in the power supply and one over the CPU. Do I need to oil the fans and what kinds of oils are suitable for this purpose?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fans in your computer almost assuredly use sealed bearings and cannot be oiled. If a fan is making noise, it's because the bearings are shot, and the entire thing needs to be replaced. They're cheap.

- Warren
  4. May 23, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't oil them, chances are you'll spray oil everywhere, dust will stick to it, and you'll have no end of grief.
  5. May 25, 2007 #4
    It's a good idea to replace the cpu fan before it is worn out. What could happen if the bearing is worn out, espessially if it it a low speed fan, is that the destroyed bearing will lock up the fan, so that the processor will be destroyed.
  6. May 26, 2007 #5
    I dont see the problem with oiling the fans if you know what you are doing. Here is a good tutorial:
    Oiling your old fans increases the chance they will last longer, and might actually improve efficiency/lower noise too.
  7. Jun 2, 2007 #6
    Case fans are as cheap as $2-$3 now. It would be considerably less stressful just to buy a fan and put it in. Also you don't have to worry about spilling oil everywhere.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?