Maintaining PC Fans - All You Need to Know

• Thread starter pixel01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not the fans in a computer need to be oiled and what type of oil is suitable for this purpose. The general consensus is that fans in modern computers have sealed bearings and do not require oiling. If a fan is making noise, it is likely due to worn bearings and should be replaced. However, there are tutorials available for those who wish to oil their fans. It is ultimately recommended to simply replace the fan, as they are inexpensive and it eliminates the risk of spilling oil.
pixel01
Hi all,

I just opened my desk PC case for cleaning. There are fans, one in the power supply and one over the CPU. Do I need to oil the fans and what kinds of oils are suitable for this purpose?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The fans in your computer almost assuredly use sealed bearings and cannot be oiled. If a fan is making noise, it's because the bearings are shot, and the entire thing needs to be replaced. They're cheap.

- Warren

Don't oil them, chances are you'll spray oil everywhere, dust will stick to it, and you'll have no end of grief.

It's a good idea to replace the cpu fan before it is worn out. What could happen if the bearing is worn out, espessially if it it a low speed fan, is that the destroyed bearing will lock up the fan, so that the processor will be destroyed.

I don't see the problem with oiling the fans if you know what you are doing. Here is a good tutorial:
http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm
Oiling your old fans increases the chance they will last longer, and might actually improve efficiency/lower noise too.

nobb123 said:
I don't see the problem with oiling the fans if you know what you are doing. Here is a good tutorial:
http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm
Oiling your old fans increases the chance they will last longer, and might actually improve efficiency/lower noise too.

Case fans are as cheap as $2-$3 now. It would be considerably less stressful just to buy a fan and put it in. Also you don't have to worry about spilling oil everywhere.

1. Why is it important to maintain PC fans?

Maintaining PC fans is important because they are responsible for keeping your computer's hardware cool and preventing overheating. Overheating can cause damage to your computer's components and decrease its performance.

2. How often should PC fans be cleaned?

PC fans should be cleaned at least every 6 months to a year. However, if you notice a significant amount of dust buildup, it is recommended to clean them more frequently.

3. What tools are needed for cleaning PC fans?

The tools needed for cleaning PC fans include a can of compressed air, a small brush, and a microfiber cloth. You may also need a screwdriver to remove the fan from the computer.

4. Can I use water to clean PC fans?

No, it is not recommended to use water to clean PC fans as it can damage the components. Instead, use a can of compressed air to blow away the dust and a small brush to gently remove any stubborn debris.

5. How do I know if my PC fans need to be replaced?

If you notice that your computer is running hotter than usual or you hear unusual noises coming from the fan, it may be time to replace it. Additionally, if the fan is visibly damaged or not spinning properly, it should be replaced.