Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fantasy : US Presidential Election

1. Bush; Bush

9.1%
  2. Kerry; Kerry

12.1%
  3. Other; Other

18.2%
  4. Bush; Kerry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bush; Other

6.1%
  6. Kerry; Bush

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kerry; Other

24.2%
  8. Other; Bush

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other; Kerry

3.0%
  10. None of the above

27.3%
  1. Sep 28, 2005 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there were an election tomorrow, and you had to choose between Bush and Kerry (running on the same platforms they did last year, or any of the other players), who would you vote for (if you could vote) ? Also tell us who did/wanted to vote for in 2004.

I'm wondering if there are any swings in here, one way or the other.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2
    I've come to adore Barbara Boxer. She'd be my "other." But she has no interest, which only increases her appeal.

4. Sep 28, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

If those are the only and best candidates the United States could come up with, then I say its a pretty retarded shame.

5. Sep 28, 2005 #4
    Why is there an "other; other" and a "none of the above"?

6. Sep 28, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"None of the above" covers possibilities like "I wouldn't vote" or whatever else someone might think of that I might have missed. Doesn't hurt to have it there as a safety net, methinks.

7. Sep 28, 2005 #6
    Heh... the only Barbara in Canadian politics (that I know) is a founding member of the Marxist-Leninist party and was the running MP for the People's Front party last provincial election.

(she's one of my favourite) :tongue:

8. Sep 28, 2005 #7
    It doesn't make much sense with the OP text exactly, but it certainly makes the options more complete.

9. Sep 28, 2005 #8

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Nader, baby. :approve: Voted for him in 2000 and 2004; will vote for him in 2008 if he runs and is still healthy. The guy is a saint.
    I did manage to get through to my mother. She said she would have switched to Nader in 2004, but she ended up "not having time" to vote. :frown: She was a (bazillionth-generation) Republican.

10. Sep 28, 2005 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I'd write myself in as President.

But then again, Arnold has a better chance than me.

On the other, I am running for Leader of the World. :biggrin:

First Rule - Everyone has to be nice. :smile:

11. Sep 28, 2005 #10
    Or else (?) :devil:

12. Sep 28, 2005 #11
    Just to be clear, I didn't want Bush in 04' but I voted for him cause I especially didn't want Kerry! I wanted a libertarian but I don't see it happening.... :frown:

13. Sep 28, 2005 #12
    You go in time out.

14. Sep 28, 2005 #13

SOS2008

Gold Member

I voted for Kerry in 2004 because anything was WAY better than Bush. Since then I actually feel Kerry would have been a great asset in improving our foreign affairs, but I remain less confident about how he would handle domestic issues and gaining congressional support. So I would like to see a stronger candidate from the Dems to go up against McCain, because I definitely will not vote for him.

15. Sep 28, 2005 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I voted Kerry in 2004. I chose other for who I would vote for given a fantasy election - in a fantasy election, the Republican candidate would be someone other than Bush, Rice, Cheney, Barbour, Brownback, or Tancredo (and the Democratic candidate would be someone other than Dean, Kucinich, Biden, or Clinton - actually, the fact that the first group raise more negative feelings in me than Biden or Clinton worries me a little).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  16. Sep 28, 2005 #15
    I voted none of the above becouse i think bush and kerry are the same and they defend the same interests.

If in a democracy you are only left to select between 2 candidates.. then it's not a democracy, it's a covert dictatorship.

17. Sep 28, 2005 #16

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

So you were one of those Floridian Nader voters that gave Florida to Bush in 2000, eh?

I haven't even worried about the presidential vote the last two elections (the only two in which I've been old enough to vote, coincidentally). I voted for Nader in 2000 and Bush in 2004, which looks strange prima facie (both men are probably in the lowest 10th percentile of men I would actually want as president) until you consider that I meant both to be protest votes of a sort, against an electoral college system in which my vote made absolutely no difference because California was going to whoever the democrats nominated two years before there was a nomination. In return, I'll vote for anyone who isn't a democrat. That only holds for the presidential election, though. My vote actually matters in all others and I vote in a regular manner in those.

Ideally, I'd still like to see Giuliani. I probably would have voted for Wesley Clark had he received the democratic nomination last time around. I'll give strong consideration to Mike Huckabee if he runs. DeWine, Durbin, and Byrd are the senators I wouldn't mind seeing off the top of my head.

18. Sep 28, 2005 #17
    I thought Bush-voters gave him Florida... what are you on about?

19. Sep 28, 2005 #18

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

He won by what? Less then 1%? Had the 5% that went to Nader, undoubtedly liberal people, voted for Gore (heck, had 20% of them voted for Gore), Bush never takes office and his political career is probably over.

I'm a little taken back by the fact that I had to explain this to you when it's been covered from about every angle possible for the last five years.

20. Sep 28, 2005 #19

honestrosewater

Gold Member

My county went to Gore, so I don't think my vote made a difference anyway. That is how it works, right? Eh, whatever. :rolleyes:
    Why don't you like Nader?

21. Sep 28, 2005 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Electoral votes aren't alloted by county. Whoever wins the state popular vote gets every electoral vote. Actually, I think there are one or two states that actually apportion their electoral vote, but Florida is not one of them.

It's not that I don't like Nader. It's just that I don't like him as a president. He's done fine as a consumer advocate, but what exactly do you think he would accomplish as a president? He would have no support whatsoever in Congress and there is no national initiative/referendum process, so he can't go Arnold either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?