FAQ Forum: Compile Hot Questions for Easier Access

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the group has discussed the possibility of creating a FAQ forum where common questions can be compiled for easy access. This would help reduce repetitive questions and provide a central location for answers. Members have suggested limiting posting in the FAQ forum to keep it organized and accurate. They have also proposed making the FAQ forum a sticky or a sub-forum under College level. Some members have expressed interest in contributing to the FAQ forum with their expertise.
We all have seen questions be asked 2,3,4... times over and over. A possible solution is to compile all these "hot" questions into one forum. Next time a member asked one of the questions we can simply direct them to the FAQ forum. And maybe, just maybe, someone will browse the FAQ forum before they post the "hot" question. What do you all think?

Likes Jamison Lahman
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, err, haven't we already started with that? I made the exact same suggestion a few weeks ago

Look at the FAQ-sticky in the general physics forum
Besides, who will participate ? Up till now only arildno and myself have done some actual work. Who wants to join ?

marlon

Last edited:
I'm was thinking of compiling some of my longer and more informative posts into a browsable FAQ on my website, but have delayed due to the need to write a script to insert the latex equations. Since such a system is already built into the forums, so I'd be happy to advise such a compilation -- if it was desired.

I have said yet my field of collaboration is limitated. You phisicists are more prepared to teach physics than me, I only help as far as fluid mechanics & thermodynamics are concerned.

You should do that Spacetiger...You have written many great posts. I especially like the one on photon-decoupling and CMB

marlon

ps, i have a FAQ : can anybody tell me the etymology of the name 'CHROOT'

thanks

marlon

is chroot a linux command ? if so, what command exactly ?

marlon

I believe it stands for 'change root'?

Monique said:
I believe it stands for 'change root'?

Dat lijkt mij zeer logisch te zijn. Dank U voor de inlichting

regards
marlon

marlon said:
Well, err, haven't we already started with that? I made the exact same suggestion a few weeks ago

Look at the FAQ-sticky in the general physics forum
Besides, who will participate ? Up till now only arildno and myself have done some actual work. Who wants to join ?

marlon
I've got a word document under construction...should be out soon.

i am eager to see it Gokul

regards
marlon

Or how about a 'best physics teacher' contest. You know, to determin who is able to give the most accurate and clear explanations for a given set of problems. Just post some questions and after a certain period, people give in their answers. Then all members can judge through a poll , who wrote the best essays...Might also help to boost up the FAQ initiative

That's two for the price of one...:)
marlon

Greg Bernhardt said:
We all have seen questions be asked 2,3,4... times over and over. A possible solution is to compile all these "hot" questions into one forum. Next time a member asked one of the questions we can simply direct them to the FAQ forum. And maybe, just maybe, someone will browse the FAQ forum before they post the "hot" question. What do you all think?
I hope that a mini-forum like that marlon&Greg propose gets going.
A couple of my own thoughts about it:
1) Anyone may create a FAQ-thread outside of the forum on some topic they would like to expound upon, but it remains the mentors' choice whether that thread has become good enough to be made into a sticky in the FAQ-forum.
2) For the convenience of readers, it is perhaps best that discussions&questions relating to a particular thread is kept separate from the topic threads themselves.

arildno said:
but it remains the mentors' choice whether that thread has become good enough to be made into a sticky in the FAQ-forum.

But don't you think the FAQ initiative should really become a sticky? That is the only way people will keep noticing it. I mean, if something like 'so you want to be a physicist' can become a sticky then this initiative should have TWO stickies. It will be much more usefull to many many more people

regards
marlon

marlon said:
But don't you think the FAQ initiative should really become a sticky? That is the only way people will keep noticing it. I mean, if something like 'so you want to be a physicist' can become a sticky then this initiative should have TWO stickies. It will be much more usefull to many many more people

regards
marlon
Sure, I meant that a particular FAQ-thread is eventually put into a FAQ-forum.
That forum itself of course, should be easy to find (say as a sub-forum under College level in the manner that TD-:yuck: is a sub-forum in Gen.Phys.)

you know, why don't we replace the TD-subforum with the FAQ-subforum ?

besides, after the intro to netwonian mechanics and plan to elaborate on the mechanics of solid objects. I also have a few ideas on thin film interference and geom. optics...It will take some time, because on monday my phd is going to start...

marlon

Last edited:
arildno said:
Sure, I meant that a particular FAQ-thread is eventually put into a FAQ-forum.
That forum itself of course, should be easy to find (say as a sub-forum under College level in the manner that TD-:yuck: is a sub-forum in Gen.Phys.)

I agree that a compilation of FAQs would be more useful if broken down into a forum of its own rather than an unweildy sticky thread with everything in it. The reason is that a student can go to an FAQ forum, scan the list of topics, and find the one relevant to them, or you can find threads using a search. If everything is all in one thread, then it will be really hard to use having to scroll through post after post to find the specific topic of interest.

I also agree with the suggestion to limit posting in the FAQ forum. That should be done at a mentor's discretion, 1) to keep the FAQs from becoming so numerous that they are no longer useful or even FAQs...we don't need to re-write entire textbooks, 2) to keep them accurate and only submitted by reliable members so they don't provide misinformation, and 3) to keep the individual threads free of clutter from discussion.

If it really works well, I can envision a student coming to the forum, reading the relevant FAQ, then heading over to homework help with, "Question related to FAQ #3." I expect they won't replace the "I'm stuck with this problem" questions, but they will help with the ones that originate from simply missing something while taking notes in class, or getting home to realize your notes are incomplete or incoherent.

This forum does a pretty good job of a separate faq forum, as an example.

http://www.wilmott.com/categories.cfm?catid=19

However, I'm very skeptical it will make any sort of dent in the number of repetitious questions that are asked in the homework help section.

Last edited by a moderator:
juvenal said:
However, I'm very skeptical it will make any sort of dent in the number of repetitious questions that are asked in the homework help section.

Perhaps, but on the other hand, maybe people will read it and see questions they didn't know they had or never got around to asking. At the very least, it would be nice to have a convenient place to refer repeat questioners.

Hey guys, check this forum out that i go to

http://www.overclock.net/

Under the Forum tab at teh top, there's a "FAQ" that's really helpful.

They also have a chatroom but it doesn't work lol

If the FAQ forum would contain more than just physics, why not make it a subforum in the Science Education Zone? I imagined it would have its own subforums (ex. Physics, Astronomy & Cosmology, Mathematics, etc.).
So a breadcrumb would look something like
Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums > Science Education Zone > FAQs > Mathematics > Why does 0.999... = 1?
As others said, this would be enough structure to keep it from getting congested or taking up half of the homepage. And the Science Education Zone seems like the perfect home.

honestrosewater said:
If the FAQ forum would contain more than just physics, why not make it a subforum in the Science Education Zone? I imagined it would have its own subforums (ex. Physics, Astronomy & Cosmology, Mathematics, etc.).
So a breadcrumb would look something like
Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums > Science Education Zone > FAQs > Mathematics > Why does 0.999... = 1?
As others said, this would be enough structure to keep it from getting congested or taking up half of the homepage. And the Science Education Zone seems like the perfect home.
If the FAQ does, in fact come about, and looks like it might be reasonably comprehensive, then this is definitely a good idea (cc to arildno and moonbear). I'm currently swamped with work but hope to be able to resume efforts along this direction soon.

For a Math FAQ, there's a bunch of stuff here that could be salvaged, and we could get more contributions from other members as well. The number of strong mathematicians on this Forum has increased greatly in the last half a year or so.

What is the purpose of the FAQ Forum?

The purpose of the FAQ Forum is to compile the most frequently asked questions on a particular topic for easier access and reference.

How are the questions selected for the FAQ Forum?

The questions are selected based on their frequency of being asked and their relevance to the topic. The forum moderators also take into consideration the clarity and helpfulness of the answers.

Can users submit their own questions to be included in the FAQ Forum?

Yes, users can submit their own questions to be considered for inclusion in the FAQ Forum. The moderators will review the submission and determine if it meets the criteria for inclusion.

Is the FAQ Forum a reliable source of information?

The FAQ Forum is a compilation of questions and answers from various sources, so the reliability of the information may vary. It is always recommended to double-check information from multiple sources.

Can users provide feedback or suggest edits to the existing questions and answers?

Yes, users can provide feedback or suggest edits to the existing questions and answers. The forum moderators will review the feedback and make necessary updates to improve the accuracy and usefulness of the forum.