Faq on equation formatting for this site?

• Thread starter ktoz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of mathematical notation in posts on a forum and the issue of finding a reference for the required syntax. The person asking for help was not able to use the tags and received a broken link icon while previewing. However, it was clarified that the tags can be used by anyone, regardless of membership status. There may have been some glitches since the upgrade, including problems with previews and formatting. The conversation ends with the person asking for help mentioning another issue with line breaks when previewing.
ktoz
I see that it's possible to use mathematical notation in posts, but can't seem to find any faq that shows the required syntax. Could someone point me to a formatting reference?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Not having any luck

Thanks for the link.

I've been trying to use the tex tags but all I get is a tiny blue icon with a question mark in it. I even cut and pasted a few examples from the link page but those too yielded the question mark icon.

Do you need to upgrade to a paying member to use those tags?

Thanks

Ken

No, anyone can use them, you don't have to pay. When you say you get that broken link icon, is that when you're previewing or posting? We've had some problems since the upgrade with previews, but the posts turn out okay.

I'm going to move your question over to feedback in case this is another glitch since the upgrade now that you know the right thread for instructions and practice.

Moonbear said:
When you say you get that broken link icon, is that when you're previewing or posting?

Previewing.

Another preview problem I ran across was that if you separate paragraphs with double line returns (from a Mac) and click preview, the preview looks ok, but the source has all extraneous line enders stripped out. (ie there is only one where there used to be two)

What is the proper way to format equations on this site?

The preferred way to format equations on this site is by using LaTeX, a typesetting language specifically designed for math and science equations. You can use the equation editor tool provided on the site or manually type in LaTeX code using dollar signs ($).

How do I insert a numbered equation on this site?

To insert a numbered equation, use the equation editor tool and click on the "Numbered" button. This will automatically add a number to your equation and update it as you make changes. Alternatively, you can manually insert a numbered equation by typing "\begin{equation} \end{equation}" in your LaTeX code.

Can I include images or diagrams in my equations?

Yes, you can include images or diagrams in your equations by using the "\includegraphics" command in LaTeX. You will need to upload the image file to the site first and then use the file name in the command. Make sure to properly size and position the image in relation to your equation.

How do I add subscripts or superscripts to my equations?

To add subscripts or superscripts, use the underscore (_) for subscripts and the caret (^) for superscripts in your LaTeX code. For example, "x_1" will create a subscript of 1 for the variable x, and "x^2" will create a superscript of 2 for the variable x.

Can I use special symbols or mathematical notations in my equations?

Yes, you can use special symbols and mathematical notations in your equations by using their corresponding LaTeX code. For example, "\alpha" will create the symbol α and "\int" will create the integral sign. You can refer to a LaTeX guide or cheat sheet for a list of all available symbols and notations.