Is My Vintage Picture from 1919 Worth $50-$100? Find Out Here!

• Thread starter Leah
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a picture of a black child in bed with a white comforter and pillows that was given to someone in 1919 and then someone else in 1964. The phrase on the back of the picture mentions a book by Thomas Hardy, but there is no information about pictures online. However, a search for the phrase reveals a similar picture being sold at an auction for an estimated value between $50 and $100. The conversation ends with one person mentioning they have the same picture in a similar frame and another person noting that a similar picture sold for $30 at the auction.
Leah
I'm trying to figure out a picture that I have that has a black kid in bed with white comforter and pillows. On the back it says it was given to someone in my family in 1919, then it was given to someone else in 1964. I looked on the internet and it seems to be a book by Thomas Hardy, but I don't see anything about pictures. "Far from the Madding Crowd, a Little Study in black and white". That is what it says on the back of the picture. Could this picture be worth something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it this one, Leah?

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3544/farfromthecrowdpi4.png

I googled the phrase you said was on the back. Found this auction site

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3379542

The site gives the estimated value to be between $50 and $100, but I don't know if that's a good estimate.

It's a very nice picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is the pic! Thank you for finding it!

I have the same original print in a similar oak frame. I'd like to know it's value. Any ideas?

trsad said:
I have the same original print in a similar oak frame. I'd like to know it's value. Any ideas?

Between $50 and $100.

zoobyshoe said:
Between $50 and $100.

and it "Sold For $30 "

(I'm signed up with that site)

1. What is "Far From the Madding Crowd" about?

"Far From the Madding Crowd" is a novel written by Thomas Hardy and published in 1874. It tells the story of Bathsheba Everdene, a beautiful and independent woman, and her relationships with three very different men: Gabriel Oak, a sheep farmer; William Boldwood, a wealthy landowner; and Sergeant Francis Troy, a reckless soldier. The novel explores themes of love, loyalty, and social class in rural Victorian England.

2. Is "Far From the Madding Crowd" based on a true story?

No, "Far From the Madding Crowd" is a work of fiction. However, Thomas Hardy was inspired by his own experiences growing up in rural England and his observations of the changing social and economic landscape of the time.

3. Who are the main characters in "Far From the Madding Crowd"?

The main characters in "Far From the Madding Crowd" are Bathsheba Everdene, Gabriel Oak, William Boldwood, and Sergeant Francis Troy. Other important characters include Fanny Robin, a young woman who is connected to all three men, and Liddy, Bathsheba's loyal servant.

4. What makes "Far From the Madding Crowd" a significant work of literature?

"Far From the Madding Crowd" is considered a significant work of literature because it is a powerful and realistic portrayal of rural life in Victorian England. It also challenges traditional gender roles and societal expectations, and explores complex themes such as love, loyalty, and the consequences of impulsive actions.

5. Has "Far From the Madding Crowd" been adapted into other forms of media?

Yes, "Far From the Madding Crowd" has been adapted into several films, including a 1967 version starring Julie Christie and a 2015 version starring Carey Mulligan. It has also been adapted for the stage and television.