Faraday Cage Design

• Thread starter jonlg_uk
  • Start date
Hello I am building a Faraday cage, I cannot find any decent information on the designing one. I plan to use it to shield a precision resistor network and 8 1/2 digit DVM in order to measure Low Frequency noise of a HV power supply.

I need to know what dictates the size of the "holes" in the shield and what is the best material to use?

Answers and Replies

The size of the holes is dictated by what EM frequencies you want to block out.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think you need holes. It depends on use.

The size of the holes is dictated by what EM frequencies you want to block out.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think you need holes. It depends on use.
I dont think you need holes either, however it will keep the cost of the cage down if I use a chicken wire type material. I plan to measure low frequency noise generated by a HV power supply. I cannot find any type of calculations that govern the size of these holes.

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What kind of noise are you having problem with?
Note that "chicken wire" will be completely useless if your problems are due to inductive pick-up(which is very often the case at low frequencies); in order to shield that you need mu-metal shields (with no holes).

What kind of noise are you having problem with?
Note that "chicken wire" will be completely useless if your problems are due to inductive pick-up(which is very often the case at low frequencies); in order to shield that you need mu-metal shields (with no holes).
I anticipate the main pickup will be from 240VAC and other high frequencies from microwave networks, to nearby switch mode power supplies. Ideally I would like to block all frequencies. However since I will be measuring the Low frequency noise generated by the HV power supply it is essential that I block frequencies below 100Hz.

Do you know how much a sheet of my-metal costs?