Faraday cage for Routers

• Thread starter Ainokea
  • Start date
Ainokea
Is there a need to put a household router in a faraday cage to cut down on radiated signals that could damage the human body? I would think the manufacturer's would have shielded what needs to be shielded. I see these advertised on Amazon among other places. My router sits about 6 feet from my bed.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Is there a need to put a household router in a faraday cage to cut down on radiated signals that could damage the human body? I would think the manufacturer's would have shielded what needs to be shielded. I see these advertised on Amazon among other places. My router sits about 6 feet from my bed.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I assume you're not asking about WiFi routers, since putting one in a shielded enclosure would greatly impair the WiFi performance. :wink:

All routers (and pretty much all electronic appliances) need to be tested for electromagnetic interference (EMI) before they can be sold. In the US, the testing is done per FCC rules, and you end up getting the ability to put a FCC logo on your product label to show that you've passed that testing. EMI testing is to ensure that you will not put out RF signals that can cause interference with radio, TV and other users of the airwaves. The limits are pretty low, so you are not going to be exposed to much of anything from a non-RF-transmitting appliance.

And for "intentional radiators" like WiFi routers, cellphones, etc., there are limits to the amplitude of the RF they can put out at their licensed frequencies. That is also part of the FCC testing in the US (and other agency testing in other countries). Again, the allowed RF output from such devices (that can be located close to you) is fairly small.

https://motorolamentor.zendesk.com/...ments/209465468/MG7550_Label_SSID_Sec_Key.jpg

1583690807404.png

• Love
Likes davenn, sysprog, dlgoff and 1 other person
zoki85
Is there a need to put a household router in a faraday cage to cut down on radiated signals that could damage the human body?
If you put the router in a Faraday cage how is it supposed to work then?

Likes davenn and sysprog
Baluncore
Science Advisor
Is there a need to put a household router in a faraday cage to cut down on radiated signals that could damage the human body?
Fear is a great marketing tool. The need to put your router in a Faraday cage is the same as the need to line your hat with tinfoil.
My router sits about 6 feet from my bed.
Then why not build a Faraday cage from brass flywire that encloses the bed. That will give a significant attenuation to RF radiation. It will improve your health by keeping out biting insects.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G, davenn, phinds and 1 other person

Suggested for: Faraday cage for Routers

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views