Faraday cage question

Hi! I want to know what will happen if I insert current (moving electrons) into Faraday cage, which is ungrounded? Will still there be no electric field, inside the cage?
Does the dome light work inside your car?

NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUWxYesR5Wo" Will the person inside the Faraday cage will die, if he touch it? Will the same happen with lighting strike?
To the degree that the cage is perfect no.
Given that it is not possible to construct a perfect cage, then for a direct lightning strike you could die.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the degree that the cage is perfect no.
Given that it is not possible to construct a perfect cage, then for a direct lightning strike you could die.
What is perfect cage, can you describe it with few words?

NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Cage=Faraday cage.
Perfect as opposed to imperfect (or what we can actually build).

Current will indeed flow through the wall of a Faraday cage; they have lights in there.

A car is not a particularly good Faraday cage. It is made of a poor conductor and has large openings together with lots of "sneak" paths.

There are at least two documented cases of a person(the same person!) being struck by lightning while inside a car (well, actually a truck in one case).

Shooting Star
Homework Helper
(From an earlier post of mine.) Member NoTime has mentioned the same thing.

In the ideal case, the Faraday cage should be an unbroken hollow conducting shell. Then there cannot be any electrical field inside due to outside fields. In practice, it is made of fine mesh, and connected to the ground, that is earthed.

A heavy duty properly grounded cage will prevent lightning from passing through. But, theoretically, it's possible to imagine an exceptionally powerful bolt of lightning entering it, because it's a mesh, not an unbroken hollow shell.