1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday Cage question

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1
    1.I must make a Faraday cage with copper mesh that will protect product from stray 400 MHZ signals.The operator wants to see his product inside of the cage so i want to use the coarsest mesh I can for visibility reasons.I still need good protection from 400mhz.What is the coarsest copper mesh I can use? Has anyone seen a mesh size vs frequency chart?Thanks.....

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Holes whose dimensions are much less than lambda/10 are required (about 7 cm). In theory your could use chicken wire (steel), however, you want a good conductor to get the best shielding, and you need to seal all seams (particularly the door). Copper windowscreen is a traditional and good choice for this application; it has small holes, you can see through it, the conductivity is high, and you can solder the seams together. You'll need fingerstock or EM gaskets for the door to make a good shield. (Rule of thumb: the door and any seams or penetrations must be conductive and watertight to be RF tight.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook