Testing Faraday Cup for Electrostatic Charge Measurement

In summary, the speaker is attempting to use a Faraday cup they constructed to measure electrostatic charge in a fluidized bed reactor. However, they have encountered some problems with maintaining a potential and obtaining accurate measurements. They are seeking advice on potential issues with the construction of the cup.
Weiber
Hello everyone. I am trying to use a Faraday cup constructed by myself to measure the electrostatic charge presence in particles of a fluidized bed reactor. I am trying to test if it works properly but I am having some problems.

I am tried to apply a voltage of 1.5 V till I obtain that voltage between the layers of the cup and then disconnecting it to see if it maintains that potential during some time, but when I disconnect the voltage source it looses the potential in like 2 seconds. Shouldn't it conserve the potential like a capacitor?

I have tried to measure the charge of particles connecting the faraday cup to a picoammeter, but when I collect the particles inside I obtain oscillations over and under the zero. Maybe it is not correctly constructed or I am testing it wrong.

Thank you so much for your attention. Regards!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It would be useful to know how it's constructed, is it shielded against EM radiation? Could there be a high impedance leakage path between the plates (could be grease/dirt on standoffs etc.)

-Chris

1. What is a Faraday Cup?

A Faraday Cup is a device used to measure the electrostatic charge of an object. It consists of a metal cup or cylinder, which is connected to a sensitive electrometer. When an object is placed inside the cup, any electrostatic charge on the object will be transferred to the cup, allowing for measurement.

2. How does a Faraday Cup work?

A Faraday Cup works by using the principles of electrostatic induction. When an object with an electrostatic charge is placed inside the cup, the charge is transferred through the cup and onto the electrometer, which measures the charge. The cup acts as a shield, preventing any external electric fields from interfering with the measurement.

3. What is the purpose of testing a Faraday Cup?

The purpose of testing a Faraday Cup is to ensure its accuracy and functionality. By measuring known electrostatic charges, scientists can determine if the cup is properly calibrated and if any adjustments need to be made. This is important for obtaining accurate and reliable measurements in experiments.

4. How is a Faraday Cup calibrated?

A Faraday Cup can be calibrated by using a known electrostatic charge, such as a standard capacitor or a calibrated charge source. The charge is applied to the cup and the resulting measurement is compared to the known value. Adjustments can then be made to the cup or the electrometer to ensure accurate readings.

5. What are the advantages of using a Faraday Cup for electrostatic charge measurement?

There are several advantages to using a Faraday Cup for electrostatic charge measurement. First, it is a non-contact method, meaning the object being measured does not need to physically touch the cup. Additionally, the cup provides a shield from external electric fields, ensuring accurate measurements. Finally, the cup can be easily calibrated and is a reliable tool for measuring electrostatic charges in various applications.