1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday law of induction

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1
    A circular coil, with radius of 10 cm, and 25 turns, rotates in a constant magnetic field of
    strength 2.4 T, with the axis of rotation perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic
    field.
    If the coil rotates at a frequency of 50 Hz, what is the induced peak voltage?

Okay so I know the equation to use is:
    emf=-Ndelta flux/delta t

I know all the variables in the equation except for time. I was wondering how you calculate the time. Is it just 1/50Hz?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

What is happening during that 1/50 of a second? The coil is being spun around an axis perpendicular to the external magnetic field. So what is going on with the flux through the coil? (The magnetic field strength is not changing at all!)

4. Jul 4, 2008 #3
    So is the change in time just 1/50=0.02s? The number seems a bit small to me.

5. Jul 4, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you had calculus and used derivatives yet?

You would start by figuring out an expression for the flux as a function of time, then take the derivative.

6. Jul 5, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. After 0.02s (or 1 period), the flux will be exactly what it was at 0.00s. This is because the flux is a periodic function of time, with period 0.02s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?