1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday-Maxwell Equation

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    Hi,

With regards to the Faraday Maxwell Equation form of Farday's Law.

if

[tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{E} = -\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}} {\partial t} [/tex]

Then a curled magnetic field (say for instance a loop of wire with direct current passing through it) would produce a time-varying magnetic field? however as we know it does not..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2
    It seems to me that your conclusion arises from a notion that the curl of the electric field driving the current somehow depends on the geometry of the wire in which the current runs - it doesn't

4. Dec 3, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

The equation doesn't say that. It says that the curl of an E-field gives you the time varying form of a B-field. In the case of a DC current, you get a constant B-field, so [tex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} = 0 [/tex]. Note that the curl of a constant E-field is 0, so there's no contradiction here.

5. Dec 3, 2008 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The confusion is that in a DC circuit, the current clearly travels in a loop. Due to Ohm's law,

[tex]\vec J = \sigma \vec E[/tex]

the E field clearly must circle in a loop, too.

The catch is that just because the flux lines of a vector field form closed loops, does NOT mean that the curl of the field is non-zero! For example, consider the vector field (in cylindrical coordinates)

[tex]\vec E = \frac{1}{\rho} \hat \phi[/tex]

The flux lines of this field are circles centered around the z-axis. But the curl is zero everywhere!

If this vector field represented the velocity of a fluid, then a small object co-moving with the velocity field would NOT rotate, but it would maintain its orientation while traveling around the z-axis. Velocity fields such as this can occur in a free vortex in fluid dynamics.

6. Dec 4, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

I believe the OP was referring to the wrong version of the equation. His/her original assertions seems more relevant to the one in integral form:

[tex]\oint \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{L} = - \int_S \frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} \cdot d\mathbf{S} [/tex]

My post would make more sense if I were referring to the above one instead. Since curl is evaluated at a point it doesn't seem to make sense to talk about whether E is in a loop or not.

7. Dec 4, 2008 #6
    Thank you for all the replies. I now see that where I was getting confused was my incomplete understanding of curl.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?