1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday Tensor and Index Notation

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Find faraday tensor in terms of ##\vec E## and ## \vec B ##.
    (b) Obtain two of maxwell equations using the field relation. Obtain the other two maxwell equations using 4-potentials.
    (c) Find top row of stress-energy tensor. Show how the b=0 component relates to j.

w0ow7o.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a)

The relations between the potentials and fields are:

[tex] \vec B = \nabla \times \vec A [/tex]
    [tex]\vec E = -\nabla \phi - \frac{\partial \vec A}{\partial t} [/tex]

The four-vector potential is given by ## A = \left( \frac{\phi}{c}, \vec A \right)##.

From the relation given: ## F^{ab} = \partial^{a} A ^b - \partial^b A^a ##, it looks something like ##\nabla \times A##. How do I show this? I've read the basics of tensor notation and seems alright, but I can't seem to apply the knowledge.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just start writing it out explicitly. For example, what do you get for ## F^{01}##?

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3
    [tex]F^{01} = \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial \phi} - \frac{1}{c} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial A_x} [/tex]

I don't see the point of writing out everything, as it only gives terms like ##A_x, A_y, A_z## and partial derivatives..

5. Jan 10, 2015 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're not calculating the correct derivatives. What does [itex] \partial^{a}[/itex] stand for?

6. Jan 13, 2015 #5
    Am I missing out a factor of ##c##? I think ##\partial^a = c \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}##

7. Jan 13, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\partial^a## is a compact notation for a derivative with respect to a space or time coordinate: ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^a}##

8. Jan 13, 2015 #7
    Yes, in this case ##a=0##, so we're taking the first coordinate in the 4-vector ##(\frac{\phi}{c}, \vec A)## which is ##\frac{\phi}{c}##.

9. Jan 13, 2015 #8

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The notation ##\partial^a## means it's a derivative with respect to space-time coordinates. It has nothing to do with the 4-vector potential. It has to do with the space-time coordinates ##(t,\vec{x})##. Specifically ##\partial^a=\eta^{ab}\partial_b\equiv\eta^{ab}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^b}=\eta^{at}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}+\eta^{ax}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+...##

10. Jan 13, 2015 #9
    Alright, so

[tex]F^{01} = \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t} - c\frac{\partial t}{\partial x} [/tex]

11. Jan 13, 2015 #10

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why are you taking the derivative of ##t## in the second term? Also, your factors of ##c## look off to me. Maybe write it out in index notation first if you are still getting confused. You're almost there though.

12. Jan 13, 2015 #11
    [tex]F^{01} = \partial^0 A^1 - \partial^1 A^0 [/tex]

The space-time four-vector is ## (ct, \vec r)##. The four-vector potential is given by ## (\frac{\phi}{c}, \vec A)##.

[tex]F^{01} = \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial ct} - \frac{\partial \frac{\phi}{c}}{\partial x} [/tex]
    [tex] F^{01} = \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t} - \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} [/tex]
    [tex] F^{02} = \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial t} - \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y} [/tex]
    [tex] F^{03} = \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial t} - \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z} [/tex]

13. Jan 13, 2015 #12

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok. I think all that's left is you are missing a negative sign that should have came in when you raised the indices in ##\partial^a=\eta^{ab}\partial_b##. See post #8 above. Depending on what metric signature you are using, one or the other term should have an additional negative in it.

After that, ask yourself "what is ##E^x##?"

14. Jan 13, 2015 #13
    [tex] \vec E = -\nabla \phi - \frac{\partial \vec A}{\partial t} [/tex]

[tex]E_x = -\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t} [/tex]
    [tex]F^{01} = \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t} - \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} [/tex]

15. Jan 13, 2015 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As matterwave has pointed out, I was wrong when I said in post #8 that ##\partial^a = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^a}##. I should have said ##\partial_a = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^a}## with the index in the lower position on the left side of the equation. Matterwave has shown how to relate ##\partial_a## and ##\partial^a##. Sorry for the confusion.

16. Jan 13, 2015 #15
    [tex]E_x = -\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t}[/tex]
    [tex]F^{01} = - \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} -\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t} [/tex]

This implies that ##F^{01} = \frac{E_x}{c} ##.

17. Jan 13, 2015 #16

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, now do this for ##F^{02},~F^{03},~F^{12},...## and you will have your answer. Notice that ##F^{ab}## should have 6 independent components because it is anti-symmetric, so only the top right (or bottom left) triangle is independent. Be careful with the negative signs though.

18. Jan 13, 2015 #17
    [tex]F^{01} = -\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t} - \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}[/tex]

[tex]F^{02} = -\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial t} - \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}[/tex]

[tex]F^{03} = -\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial t} - \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z}[/tex]

[tex]F^{12} = \frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x} - \frac{A_x}{\partial y} [/tex]

[tex]\vec B = \nabla \times \vec A[/tex]
    [tex]\vec E = -\nabla \phi - \frac{\partial \vec A}{\partial t}[/tex]

19. Jan 13, 2015 #18

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like I said, be careful with the negative signs. Why do you have a negative sign in the first term here?

There's 2 other components of ##F^{ab}## that matters. Now match these expressions to ##\vec{E},\vec{B}##.

20. Jan 13, 2015 #19
    By inspection, the time-like part is electric in nature, while the space-like part is magnetic in nature?

[tex]F = ( \frac{1}{c}\vec E, \vec B) [/tex]

21. Jan 13, 2015 #20

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The statement is correct, but this mathematical notation doesn't really mean anything...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted