Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Faraday's experiment help

1. Feb 5, 2006 #1
    my book writes about faraday's experiment, and I am totally clueless about this statement:

so he got some formula F=Ne, which N is avorgadro's number and e is the charge of an electron. but how does one farad = N e equate from the previous statement that my book made?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2
    The statement is not 1 Farad = Ne Coulombs. It's 1 Faraday = Ne. A monovalent ion is an ion which has one single positive or negative charge. Therefore, a mole of ions with + or - charge will have N*e coulombs of charge. This unit is called a Faraday, but is better known as the Faraday Constant, which is roughly 96500 C/mol.

A Farad is a unit of capacitance, and is mesured in Coulombs per Volt. In this case, Q = CV, and the Farad has the letter F, which is why I think you're getting confused.

Edit to make it more clear: A farad UNIT is denoted by [F], but Faraday's Constant is just F. It is much like how we denote capacitance the value by the letter C (as in Q = CV), but the unit [C] is a Couloumb. They are different and shouldn't be confused.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  4. Feb 6, 2006 #3
    what does it mean when it says " decomposes 1 gram-ionic weight of monovalet ions"?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook