1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday's experiment help

1. Feb 5, 2006 #1
    my book writes about faraday's experiment, and I am totally clueless about this statement:

so he got some formula F=Ne, which N is avorgadro's number and e is the charge of an electron. but how does one farad = N e equate from the previous statement that my book made?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2
    The statement is not 1 Farad = Ne Coulombs. It's 1 Faraday = Ne. A monovalent ion is an ion which has one single positive or negative charge. Therefore, a mole of ions with + or - charge will have N*e coulombs of charge. This unit is called a Faraday, but is better known as the Faraday Constant, which is roughly 96500 C/mol.

A Farad is a unit of capacitance, and is mesured in Coulombs per Volt. In this case, Q = CV, and the Farad has the letter F, which is why I think you're getting confused.

Edit to make it more clear: A farad UNIT is denoted by [F], but Faraday's Constant is just F. It is much like how we denote capacitance the value by the letter C (as in Q = CV), but the unit [C] is a Couloumb. They are different and shouldn't be confused.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  4. Feb 6, 2006 #3
    what does it mean when it says " decomposes 1 gram-ionic weight of monovalet ions"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?