1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday's law and current

1. Mar 29, 2006 #1
    I was wondering about the following problem:

You are looking down on a single coil in a constant magnetic field B = 0.9 T which points directly into of the screen. The dimensions of the coil go from a = 6 cm and b = 15 cm, to a* = 20 cm and b* = 19 cm in t=0.028 seconds. If the coil has resistance that remains constant at 1.7 ohms, what would be the magnitude of the induced current in amperes?

Now, I have the answer, and I was told how to get it. I used the formula I = (delta A*B)/(delta t*R)

What I was wondering was if someone could tell me what rule or law this formula came from? I can't figure out how to derive it from any of the formulas given in this chapter. Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is an application of Faraday's law which is defined as the negative change is magnetic flux over time mulitplied by the number of turns on a coil and is defined mathematically thus;

[tex]emf = -N\frac{\Delta(BA)}{\Delta t}[/tex]

You will also need Ohm's law;

[tex] V = IR[/tex]

Can you go from here?

-Hoot :smile:

If you need a derivation of Faraday's law, you can do a search on the net or I'm happy to guide you through it here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?