1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday's law and distance

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    This is just a general question, no calculations or homework-like wording involved! It's just a little something that has been bugging me.

Faraday's law states emf = change in flux with respect to time. Let's say I'm generating this change in flux with an inductor somewhere in space. (I want all of the flux in a fixed "area" for this).

Now, since Faraday's law only states the emf is dependent upon change in flux, doesn't this mean that no matter how far I am from the inductor, I get the same emf? If so, shouldn't we be experiencing emf from electronics all the time, interfering with and inducing voltages everywhere?

Thanks for taking a look at this! :)

-Max

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Strength of flux depends upon the distance of the source from the coil. Coil must be exposed to the change of flux to produce emf.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook