Faraday's Law of Induction - Current in Multiple Wires

In summary, the coil has a circumference of 15 and a cross-sectional area of 0.00115 square meters. Its resistance is calculated to be 0.109 volts.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

A 7.40 cm diameter coil consists of 15 turns of circular copper wire 2.3 mm in diameter. A uniform magnetic field, perpendicular to the plane of the coil, changes at a rate of 7.29×10^−3 T/s . Determine the current in the loop. Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

magnetic flux = BA
ε = -N Δmagnetic flux / ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm still a little confused as what to do with the 7.40 cm and 2.3 mm (other than convert them to SI units).

What I've done so far:

-15 (7.29 * 10^-3 T/s) = ε
ε = -0.109 V

Was that a good place to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
The two radii are given so that you could determine the resistance of the wire in coil.

Would it make sense if I :

ε = - N (ΔB) / (Δt) * ∏r^2

This would provide a voltage.

R = ρl / a

This would provide a resistance.

I = V / R

This would provide a current.

The equation for EMF seems correct. In the equation for resistance, what are all those constants? How do they correspond to the data in the problem?

R is resistance.

ρ is the resistivity of the material (copper) = 1.72 * 10^-8 Ωm

l = length of wire = (0.0740 m?)

A = cross sectional area of wire = ∏(0.00115 m)

I'm unsure about the last two.

The values you listed for the last two are incorrect.

How would you compute the length of wire in a coil?

What about its cross-sectional area?

To calculate the length of a wire in a coil:

A coil is a circle. The circumference of a circle is ∏d. The coil has 15 turns so in this case

l = d∏ * 15

To calculate the cross sectional area of the copper wires:

A = ∏(0.00115 m)^2 * 15 (now I'm considering all of the turns).

The length looks good. But I don't understand why you multiply the cross-sectional area by the number of turns.

Wow! A = ∏r^2 . I just noticed in one of the comments I left off the "square" part.

A = ∏(0.00115 m)^2

So I think you have all it takes to solve the problem.

What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit. This EMF can create a current in the circuit, which can then be used to do work.

What is the equation for Faraday's Law of Induction?

The equation for Faraday's Law of Induction is EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the wire and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the wire.

How does Faraday's Law of Induction apply to multiple wires?

In multiple wires, the induced EMF will be the sum of the EMFs induced in each individual wire. This means that the total current induced in the circuit will be the sum of the currents induced in each wire.

What factors can affect the induced current in multiple wires?

The induced current in multiple wires can be affected by the number of turns in each wire, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the resistance of the wires. Additionally, the orientation and distance between the wires can also impact the induced current.

What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law of Induction in multiple wires?

Faraday's Law of Induction in multiple wires is used in many everyday devices, such as transformers, generators, and electric motors. It is also used in power grids to transfer electrical energy over long distances and in wireless charging technologies.