1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday's Law of Induction

1. May 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A coil of 15 turns and radius 10cm surrounds a long solenoid of radius 2cm and 1x10^3 turns/m. The current in the solenoid changes as I = (5A)sin(120t). Find the induced emf in the 15-turn coil as a function of time.

2. Relevant equations

emf = -Nd[flux]/dt

d[flux] = int[B*dA]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to start this. I tried doing some basic problems, but I just do not understand any of it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the magnetic field inside a solenoid? What magnetic flux passes through the coil?

4. Oct 30, 2008 #3
    Never mind, I posted my own thread.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. Oct 30, 2008 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the difference between a coil and a solenoid? (I'm asking the question seriously).

6. Oct 30, 2008 #5
    For this problem:

COIL
    [​IMG]

Solenoid
    [​IMG]

In general people may (and will) say "coil" for the second case too.

7. Nov 1, 2008 #6
    Did you consider using the mutual inductance of the coil-solenoid system?

I have a theory question for you that might help to get you started on this problem:

What special characteristic of Mutual inductance helps us to quickly and easily solve problems like this?

Good luck,

Wynand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?