Exploring the Role of the Vector Potential in Faraday's Law of Induction

In summary, the conversation touches on the Maxwell-Lodge controversy surrounding the absence of a magnetic field outside of an infinitely long solenoid. The issue is mainly about how Faraday's law applies in this scenario and whether the use of the Vector Potential can resolve it. The conversation also delves into the role of the Vector Potential in quantum mechanics and QED. Overall, Faraday's law is still valid for a finite solenoid and the issue only arises when considering an infinitely long solenoid, which is a physically impossible configuration.
bob012345
Gold Member
Suppose there is an almost infinitly long but narrow solenoid with an AC current surrounded by a much larger loop such that there is no magnetic field except in the solenoid. I had always thought it didn't matter what part of the outer loop the flux changed in, there would be an induced electric field and thus a current in the outer loop. Now, I'm reading about the Maxwell-Lodge controversy which makes a big deal over the fact that there is no magnetic field outside the solenoid and none at the outer loop. So, 1) Does Faraday's Law still give the correct result by itself? 2) Is the issue mainly about the role of the Vector potential in mediating Faraday's law? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
bob012345 said:
I'm reading about the Maxwell-Lodge controversy which makes a big deal over the fact that there is no magnetic field outside the solenoid and none at the outer loop.
I tend not to get worked up about results of physically impossible configurations. The Maxwell-Lodge concept is based on an infinitely long solenoid. Sometimes you can get away with infinite configurations of one sort or another, but this is a case where you cannot. For a finite solenoid the issue does not arise, and since only finite solenoids exist, that is all that is needed.

Likes vanhees71, Michael Price and bob012345
Ok, forget the word infinite. Just make the flux outside the solenoid very very small compared to that inside. That should be doable.

Yes, as long as you have a finite current configuration then Faraday’s law holds just fine.

Likes bob012345
Dale said:
Yes, as long as you have a finite current configuration then Faraday’s law holds just fine.
Thanks. I take it then that implies Faraday's law would always give the correct result even as the solenoid approached infinity in the limit. But I'm still curious with why Faraday's law needs some field at the outer loop. Is the heart of the issue something like "how does the outer loop know about the flux change if there is no field there?" or just action at a distance? If so, why then would the specific value at the loop tell one everything about the total flux change inside?

Does using the Vector Potential get rid of the issue? Is the VP more fundamental? Thanks.

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
Is the heart of the issue something like "how does the outer loop know about the flux change if there is no field there?" or just action at a distance? If so, why then would the specific value at the loop tell one everything about the total flux change inside?
To my understanding the issue is mostly a mathematical one that arises when trying to do integration in a space with a non-trivial topology. An infinitely long solenoid partitions space into an inside and an outside. There is no such topological distinction for a finite solenoid.

Likes vanhees71 and bob012345
Thanks. I pulled out Feynman Volume 2 15-7 where he discusses the Vector Potential. He thought the VP was more fundamental because if it's central role in quantum mechanics and QED.

Likes vanhees71

What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism, discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s. It states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor, resulting in the generation of an electric current.

How does Faraday's Law of Induction work?

Faraday's Law of Induction is based on the concept of magnetic flux, which is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. When a magnetic field changes, the flux also changes, which in turn induces an EMF in a nearby conductor according to the law. This EMF can then drive an electric current.

What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction has numerous practical applications, including generators, transformers, motors, and induction cooktops. It is also the basis for many technologies such as electric power distribution, wireless charging, and magnetic levitation trains.

What is Lenz's Law and how is it related to Faraday's Law of Induction?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law of Induction and states that the direction of an induced current will oppose the change that produced it. This means that if the magnetic field is increasing, the induced current will flow in a direction that produces a magnetic field that opposes the increase. Similarly, if the magnetic field is decreasing, the induced current will flow in a direction that produces a magnetic field that supports the decrease.

How does Faraday's Law of Induction relate to electromagnetic waves?

Faraday's Law of Induction is one of the fundamental principles that explains the generation and propagation of electromagnetic waves. When a changing magnetic field induces an electric current, the moving charges create a changing electric field, which in turn creates a changing magnetic field, and so on. This self-sustaining process results in the propagation of electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves.