[Faraday's Law] Power Extraction from Line in a country

In summary, a problem on power extraction in Faraday's Law application was discussed. The maximum power that can be extracted was found for a single loop with width a=38.08m and length b=100-a. It was also discussed that for multiple loops, the induced EMF depends on both N and the area of the loop, which decreases as N increases. The magnetic flux through a rectangular single loop with a close edge 20m from the power line was calculated and it was suggested to maximize the flux with respect to the shape of the rectangle to find the best N. It was also mentioned that in practice, a single wire carrying significant current would require a return path, such as a second power-line, to keep the net
sgod88
1. I have encountered a problem on power extraction in Faraday's Law application. Consider I live out in the country and I suddenly realized that a power line of current I=I0cos(2pi*60t) [A] is situated 20m from my farm. A copper wire of diameter 4.1mm, 200 m in length was found in the garage and it was used to form a rectangular loop with width a and length b with single loop.
(a) Find the maximum power that can be extracted.
(b) Will I extract more power when I form multiple loop instead of single?

I
--------------------------<--------------------------------

20m
b
|----------Rwire-----------|
| |
| | a
| |
|------------Rload---------|

2. (a) I have done this part and I found that to achieve maximum power, a= 38.08m and an assumption based on impedance matching was made that Rwire =Rload. I obtained the Prms=190W

(b) The problem here is that I found that for N loop wire, I would have Vtotal induced=N*V1 loop induced
and the resistant of the wire should be
Rtotal L=N*Rload
Hence, I concluded that
P= [tex]\frac{V_{total}^{2}*R_{L}}{4R_{total L}^{2}}[/tex]
= [tex]\frac{(NV)^{2}}{4NR_{L}}[/tex]
= [tex]\frac{NV^{2}}{4R_{L}}[/tex]

Then it would increase the power N times compared to one loop.. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you assuming that the copper loop is 20 m from the power line and that B is constant there?
Why does the EMF induced in the loop depend on its shape?
For part b, the induced EMF depends on both N, and the area of the loop which decreases as N increases..

dslowik said:
Are you assuming that the copper loop is 20 m from the power line and that B is constant there?
Why does the EMF induced in the loop depend on its shape?
For part b, the induced EMF depends on both N, and the area of the loop which decreases as N increases..

Yes the copper loop is 20 m from the power line and B is assumed to be constant.
EMF induced in the loop should be depending on the area of the loop, where
[tex]V_{ind}=-\frac{d\Psi}{dt}[/tex]
and
[tex]\Psi=\int{BdA}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{\mu_{0} I}{2\pi}\int\int{\frac{1}{y} dy}{ dx}[/tex]

For part b,
you mean that the area should decrease by N times? So will more loop extract more power then?

If B is constant, you would choose a shape that just maximizes area given the fixed wire length.
But that integral for magnetic flux has y dependence?

for b) as N increases, area decreases, but N times flux enclosed should be maximized.

Sorry I that I mentioned the B is constant, it varies with time. I think so it has y dependence because B field changes as y changes (B field itself is varying with time and space cos of the current I and the distance between the wire and the copper wires) and the B field for infinitely long straight line is
[tex]B(t)=\frac{\mu_{0} I(t)}{2\pi y}[/tex]

So if I substitue in the magenetic flux equation, it will be y-dependent.

So maximizing the area itself does not imply the maximum [tex]\psi[/tex] is obtained.

(b) For the N loops, how can I explain this quantitatively? Is there anyway that I can do that?

Thank you
Sgod88

a) right, since B goes like 1/y, where y is the distance to the power line, it seems the loop would be near the power line to maximize the flux. Can you do that integral for flux you wrote down before to get it in terms of a, b, and the distance from the powerline? would give you a log, and you need 2a + 2b = 200m...

b) For one loop the perimeter is 200m. If N is 2, 2a+2b=100m, etc. This implies smaller loop areas.
On the other hand, the net induced EMF is proportional to N.
So it is a trade off between those two effects to find the best N.

a) Yes I could do that. It is

[tex] \psi=\int_{20}^{20+a}{\frac{\mu_{0} I(t)(100-a)}{2\pi y}}dy} [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\mu_{0} I(t)(100-a) }{2\pi}}ln(\frac{20+a}{20})[/tex]

Then I got the answer I mentioned by making assumption for impedance matching.

Thank you! =)

So that's the magnetic flux through the rectangular single loop with the close edge 20m from the powerline. Can you put the close edge against the powerline? that would increase the flux.
In any case, next would be to maximize flux wrt shape of rectangle, i.e. wrt a, using derivative dpsi/da=0.

I'm afraid that in practice, you can't have a single wire carrying significant LF current without looking for the return path... in this case it's probably a second power-line (single-phase, or two lines/3-phase) not more than a few feet from the first. When you do the flux-linking sums you'll find that the net magnetic field at 20m is much less than you thought.

John

1. What is Faraday's Law and how does it relate to power extraction from a line in a country?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle of electromagnetism that describes how an electric current is induced in a conductor by a changing magnetic field. In the context of power extraction from a line in a country, Faraday's Law explains how the magnetic field produced by the movement of the power lines induces an electric current in nearby conductors, such as the wires in a power plant.

2. How is power extracted from a line in a country?

Power is extracted from a line in a country by using transformers to convert the high voltage electricity from the power lines into lower voltage electricity that can be used by homes and businesses. The transformers use the principle of electromagnetic induction, which is based on Faraday's Law, to transfer the energy from the power lines to the local power grid.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of power extraction from a line in a country?

There are several factors that can affect the efficiency of power extraction from a line in a country. These include the quality of the transformers, the distance between the power lines and the power plant, the conductivity of the materials used in the power lines, and the overall design and maintenance of the power grid.

4. How does power extraction from a line in a country impact the surrounding environment?

Power extraction from a line in a country can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it provides the electricity needed for modern living and economic development. On the other hand, the construction and maintenance of power lines can disrupt natural habitats, and the burning of fossil fuels to generate electricity can contribute to air and water pollution.

5. How is power extraction from a line in a country regulated?

The regulation of power extraction from a line in a country varies depending on the country and its government. In general, there are laws and regulations in place to ensure that power companies operate safely and responsibly, and to protect the interests of consumers. This may include regulations on the construction and maintenance of power lines, pricing and billing practices, and environmental standards for power plants.