Calculate Area of Ring in Uniform Magnetic Field | Faraday's Law Problem

In summary, the question asks for the area of a coil in a uniform magnetic field with a specific induction and resistance, given that the field will charge the coil with a specified amount of charge. The area can be found using the equation Ф=B*S*cosa, where B is the induction, S is the area, and a is the angle between the normal to the coil's surface and the magnetic field. The flux cannot be zero if the magnetic field lines are going straight into the coil, so the angle should be 1. The flux is also equal to the change in charge multiplied by the resistance, so the area can be calculated as S=(5*10^-5*2)/0.1=10^-3 m^2
AlexPilk

Homework Statement

In a uniform magnetic field with induction of 0.1 Teslas - a coil is located perpendicular to the lines of induction (I suppose it's something like a ring of wire, meaning N=1). Resistance = 2 Ohms. What is the area of the "ring" if when the field is switched on - it will charge 50 microcoulombs?

The Attempt at a Solution

The area can be found from this equation I believe: Ф=B*S*cosa --> S=Ф/(B*cosa)
B = 0.1 teslas
cos(90 degrees) = 0, which doesn't make a lot of sense, since the flux won't be 0 if the lines of the magnetic field are going straight into the "ring", so I must be doing something wrong and it = 1.
If so: S = Ф/0.1
Now I have to find the flux given the charge and resistance.
I know that the voltage induced = change in flux/change in time. V=dФ/dt
I=dq/dt. V=I*R, so dФ/dt=dqR/dt --> dФ=dqR
If so: S=(5*10^-5*2)/0.1=100*10^-5=10^-3 m^2.

Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
AlexPilk said:

Homework Statement

In a uniform magnetic field with induction of 0.1 Teslas - a coil is located perpendicular to the lines of induction (I suppose it's something like a ring of wire, meaning N=1). Resistance = 2 Ohms. What is the area of the "ring" if when the field is switched on - it will charge 50 microcoulombs?

The Attempt at a Solution

The area can be found from this equation I believe: Ф=B*S*cosa --> S=Ф/(B*cosa)
B = 0.1 teslas
cos(90 degrees) = 0, which doesn't make a lot of sense, since the flux won't be 0 if the lines of the magnetic field are going straight into the "ring", so I must be doing something wrong and it = 1.
If so: S = Ф/0.1
Now I have to find the flux given the charge and resistance.
I know that the voltage induced = change in flux/change in time. V=dФ/dt
I=dq/dt. V=I*R, so dФ/dt=dqR/dt --> dФ=dqR
If so: S=(5*10^-5*2)/0.1=100*10^-5=10^-3 m^2.

Is it correct?

Is the axis of the coil perpendicular or parallel to the magnetic field?

It is the angle between the normal to the surface of the coil, and the magnetic field that you must consider.

What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism, named after the English scientist Michael Faraday. It states that the induced electromotive force in a closed circuit is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

What is a Faraday's Law problem?

A Faraday's Law problem is a type of physics problem that involves using Faraday's Law to calculate the induced electromotive force in a closed circuit. These problems often involve changing magnetic fields, moving conductors, or changing areas of the circuit.

How do you solve a Faraday's Law problem?

To solve a Faraday's Law problem, you will need to use the equation E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced electromotive force, N is the number of turns in the circuit, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux. You will also need to know the direction of the induced current, which can be determined using the right-hand rule.

What is the purpose of solving Faraday's Law problems?

Solving Faraday's Law problems allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic systems, such as generators and transformers. It also helps us to design and optimize these systems for various applications.

What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law has many practical applications, including power generation, electric motors, transformers, and induction heating. It is also used in technologies such as MRI machines, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation trains.