What is the Correct Approach for Solving Faraday's Law Problem?

In summary, you just calculated the magnetic flux through the area of the loop, which is -B0Asin(ωt). It's negative because I have chosen to go CCW around the loop, making dA→ point out of the page while the magnetic field points inwards. Taking the derivative of this WRT time is just -B0Aωcos(ωt). I set this equal to the negative closed path integral of E→ ⋅ dr→, which is -Q/C-iR since I'm going ccw around the path in the same direction as the current. After doing some math and noting Q(0) = 0, I get that Q(t) = CB
Mark Zhu
Homework Statement
Consider the circuit below, which has a capacitor and a resistor and negligible self-inductance. The area enclosed by the circuit is A.
Suppose at t = 0 there is no charge on the capacitor and a magnetic field is switched on which points into the paper. The magnetic field varies with time according to
|B→| = B[SUB]0[/SUB] sin(ωt)
where B[SUB]0[/SUB] and ω are constants. Find the charge on the top plate as a function of time.
Relevant Equations
Q = CV
V = IR
This seems like just another Faraday's Law problem, but I'm getting the wrong answer according to the book. I think I'm only calculating the answer for the interval ωt = 0 and ωt = pi/2, when the |B→| is increasing. Basically you just calculate the magnetic flux through the area of the loop, which is -B0Asin(ωt). It's negative because I have chosen to go CCW around the loop, making dA→ point out of the page while the magnetic field points inwards. Taking the derivative of this WRT time is just -B0Aωcos(ωt). I set this equal to the negative closed path integral of E→ ⋅ dr→, which is -Q/C-iR since I'm going ccw around the path in the same direction as the current. After doing some math and noting Q(0) = 0, I get that Q(t) = CB0Aωcos(ωt)(1-e^-t/(RC)).
However, the book has a super complex and weird answer and with 3 terms: 1 with cos, 1 with sin, and 1 with e exponential.
Do I only have half the answer since I only considered the interval between ωt = 0 and ωt = pi/2, where |B→| is increasing? Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_20190803_224035.jpg
    IMG_20190803_224035.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark Zhu said:
After doing some math and noting Q(0) = 0, I get that Q(t) = CB0Aωcos(ωt)(1-e^-t/(RC)).
How did you solve the differential equation for Q(t)?

Mark Zhu said:
. After doing some math and noting Q(0) = 0, I get that Q(t) = CB0Aωcos(ωt)(1-e^-t/(RC)).
However, the book has a super complex and weird answer and with 3 terms: 1 with cos, 1 with sin, and 1 with e exponential.
Check if your function is really solution of the problem.

doggydan42 said:
How did you solve the differential equation for Q(t)?

Attachments

• FLP.docx
    13.1 KB · Views: 256
On the line where you introduced the natural logarithm, there is a cosine term of t, so you cannot simply say that it is an integral like ##\frac{dQ}{Q+C}##, for some constant C. Separation of variables does not work because you have that cos(ωt).

You need to solve the homogeneous differential equation first to get the complementary solution, then you can make an ansatz for the full differential equation to get the particular solution.

doggydan42 said:
On the line where you introduced the natural logarithm, there is a cosine term of t, so you cannot simply say that it is an integral like ##\frac{dQ}{Q+C}##, for some constant C. Separation of variables does not work because you have that cos(ωt).

You need to solve the homogeneous differential equation first to get the complementary solution, then you can make an ansatz for the full differential equation to get the particular solution.
Thank you so much

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law, also known as Faraday's induction law, is a fundamental principle in physics that explains the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field.

2. How do you solve a Faraday's Law problem?

To solve a Faraday's Law problem, you need to first identify the given variables, such as the magnetic field, area, and rate of change. Then, determine the direction of the induced electric field using Lenz's Law. Finally, use the equation E = -NΔΦ/Δt, where E is the induced electric field, N is the number of turns in the coil, and ΔΦ/Δt is the change in magnetic flux over time.

3. What is the correct approach for solving Faraday's Law problem?

The correct approach for solving Faraday's Law problem is to carefully analyze the given variables, apply Lenz's Law to determine the direction of the induced electric field, and then use the equation E = -NΔΦ/Δt to calculate the magnitude of the induced electric field.

4. What are some real-life applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law has many real-life applications, including power generation in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in induction cooktops, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and wireless charging devices.

5. How does Faraday's Law relate to electromagnetic waves?

Faraday's Law is closely related to electromagnetic waves because it explains how a changing magnetic field can create an electric field, and vice versa. This is the fundamental principle behind the propagation of electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, light, and X-rays.