Uniform Magnetic Field Causes Induced Current in Loops

In summary, Faraday's law states that induced current in a conducting loop is caused by changes in magnetic flux through the loop. However, even when a conducting loop is moved through a uniform magnetic field without any apparent change in magnetic flux, there is still an induced current. This is because the angle between the normal to the loop and the magnetic field changes, leading to a change in magnetic flux. However, in the case of Faraday's disk dynamo, the situation is more complicated and the exact mechanism for the induced current is not fully understood.
broegger
by faraday's law induced current in a conducting loop is caused by changes in magnetic flux through that loop..
now, if you move a conducting loop through uniform magnetic field (fixed magnitude and direction) there is an induced current even though there is (apparently) no change in magnetic flux (the loop area stays the same and the magnetic field is uniform).. how come?

(this same question applies to the "faraday disk dynamo", if anyone is familiar with that)

Physics news on Phys.org
Has the angle between the normal to the conducting loop and the magnetic field changed at all?

no, I'm aware that this would correspond to a change in magnetic flux.. imagine a rectangular loop moving perpendicular through a uniform magnetic field or a circular disk rotating around a fixed axis (faraday's dynamo)

Originally posted by broegger
by faraday's law induced current in a conducting loop is caused by changes in magnetic flux through that loop..
now, if you move a conducting loop through uniform magnetic field (fixed magnitude and direction) there is an induced current even though there is (apparently) no change in magnetic flux (the loop area stays the same and the magnetic field is uniform).. how come?
Why do you think this true?

my book states that there is an induced emf everytime a conductor moves relative to a magnetic field.. but in the situations described this (as far as i can see) doesn't imply a change in magnetic flux.. e.g. in faraday's disk dynamo a conducting disk rotates about a fixed axis in a uniform magnetic field which causes an induced current - but how does the flux change in this situation?

You had made the statement that a conducting loop moving through a uniform magnetic field will have an induced current. I don't believe that's true.

You are also asking about Faraday's disk. That one is subtle and I don't think I can do it justice. (I will think about it.) Here's a website that gives it a shot. http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/sep99/937493491.Ph.r.html

Thanks for answering. I can see I'm not the only one troubled by the disk dynamo :) on closer considerations i agree that there cannot be a current in the 'rectangular loop'-situation I described.. but the disk dynamo is still a mystery

1. How does a uniform magnetic field cause induced current in loops?

When a loop of wire is placed in a uniform magnetic field, the magnetic field lines will pass through the loop and create a changing magnetic flux. This changing magnetic flux induces an electric field within the loop, which in turn causes a flow of electrons, or current, in the wire.

2. What is a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field is a magnetic field that has the same strength and direction at all points within a given region. This means that the magnetic field lines are equally spaced and parallel to each other.

3. Why does a changing magnetic flux induce an electric field?

This is due to Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field. This is because a changing magnetic field will cause a change in the magnetic flux passing through a loop of wire, which in turn induces an electric field within the loop.

4. What factors affect the strength of the induced current in a loop?

The strength of the induced current depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic flux, the size and shape of the loop, and the material of the loop.

5. What is the practical application of induced current in loops?

Induced current in loops has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in technologies such as magnetic levitation and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).