1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday's law

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Actually this is not exactly a homework. I am trying to understand the following situation only.

Consider a ring shaped coil of N turns and area A. Connect it to an external circuit with a twisted pair of leads ( this info is trivial). The resistance of the circuit along with the coil itself is R. Now the coil in a magnetic field.

Suppose the flux through the coil is somehow altered from its initial steady state value (A) to final value (B).

The author claims that the total charge Q that flows through the circuit as a result is independent of the rate of change of the flux. I am having hard time understanding this. Can anyone help me understand it.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\oint[/tex] E.dl = -d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

faraday's law is the most relevant law here, according to the book. But I am just not getting what the author is saying.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

4. Dec 13, 2008 #3

i followed the video. It was helpful.

However, i am still not sure about independence of charge with the rate of change of flux. On applying faraday's law

EMF = -Nd[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt

In the condition mention in the question above, B is the final M_flux A and the initial M_flux. We are trying to derive Q such that it is independent of d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt.

I am confused with initial and final magentic flux. On just using d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt, here is what i got

I = Nd[tex]\Phi[/tex] cos(theta)/dt*(R)

and I = dQ/dt

But still Q is dependent on d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt.

Any clue ?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  5. Dec 15, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

What is cos theta here? And try equating the expression for I with V/R where V is as given by Faraday's law.
  6. Dec 15, 2008 #5
    cosine theta is a mistake here. It has to be omitted.

Yeah, i did use Ohm's law there.

But my confusion at this point is, since the final and initial fluxes are given, in Faraday's formula, should emf be

emf = -N d(B-A)/dt or just -N d(flux)/dt ?

The final expression is supposed to show that Q is independent of rate of change of flux
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  7. Dec 15, 2008 #6

Homework Helper

It should be [tex]emf = -\frac{B-A}{\delta t}[/tex].
  8. Dec 15, 2008 #7
    did you forget N ?
  9. Dec 15, 2008 #8

Homework Helper

No I didn't. N was already included in both B and A. Remember that B, A are themselves the flux through the coil. Anyway it should make no difference in the solution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?