Max Voltage Induced in Rotating Coil

In summary: What you need to do is take the derivative with respect to θ, then take the limit as θ goes to 0. The derivative is -BA \sin \theta. And the maximum for sine is 1, so -(2 \times 10^{-5})\times(0.0625) \sin (1) = 2.18 \times 10^{-8}. But why this is still not right?Because sin(1) is undefined at 0 degrees.
roam

Homework Statement

A square coil (25 x 25 cm) that consists of 50 turns of wire rotates about a vertical axis at 1000 revolutions per minute. The horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field at the location of the coils is 2 x 10-5. Calculate the maximum voltage induced in the coil by this field.

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon = - \frac{d \Phi_B}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I should use Faraday's law

[tex]| \epsilon | = N \frac{d \Phi_B}{dt} = N \frac{BA}{dt} = 50 \frac{(2 \times 10^{-5}) \times 0.0625}{dt}[/tex]

How do I continue from here? How do I obtain "t" from 1000 revolutions per minute? The correct answer must be 6.54 mV... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The flux is not simply BA. (That would be the flux at the instant that the field is exactly perpendicular to the coil.) How does the flux depend on the angle between the field and the coil? How does that angle depend on the time?

Doc Al said:
Hint: The flux is not simply BA. (That would be the flux at the instant that the field is exactly perpendicular to the coil.) How does the flux depend on the angle between the field and the coil? How does that angle depend on the time?

I don't know the relationship between the angle and time. I think at an angle the flux would be [tex]\Phi_B = BA cos \theta[/tex]. So [tex]\epsilon = -\frac{d}{dt} (BA cos \theta)[/tex]? But we don't know what the angle is exactly and if we assume it is 90, then cos 90=0. :frown:

roam said:
I don't know the relationship between the angle and time.
Assume that the rotation rate--which is given--is constant. ω = dθ/dt.

I think at an angle the flux would be [tex]\Phi_B = BA cos \theta[/tex].
Good.

So [tex]\epsilon = -\frac{d}{dt} (BA cos \theta)[/tex]? But we don't know what the angle is exactly and if we assume it is 90, then cos 90=0.
First find the derivative, then find its maximum.

Doc Al said:
First find the derivative, then find its maximum.

The derivative is [tex]-BA \sin \theta[/tex]. And the maximum for sine is 1, so [tex]-(2 \times 10^{-5})\times(0.0625) \sin (1) = 2.18 \times 10^{-8}[/tex]. But why this is still not right?

roam said:
The derivative is [tex]-BA \sin \theta[/tex].
Almost, but not quite. You're taking the derivative with respect to time, not just θ.

1. What is max voltage induced in a rotating coil?

Max voltage induced in a rotating coil refers to the highest voltage that is generated within a coil that is rotating in a magnetic field. This voltage is the result of electromagnetic induction, which occurs when a conductor (in this case, the coil) moves through a magnetic field, causing a change in the magnetic flux and generating an electric current.

2. How is max voltage induced in a rotating coil calculated?

The max voltage induced in a rotating coil can be calculated using the formula Vmax = B x L x ω, where B is the strength of the magnetic field, L is the length of the coil, and ω is the angular velocity (or rotational speed) of the coil. This formula is known as Faraday's law of induction.

3. What factors affect the max voltage induced in a rotating coil?

The max voltage induced in a rotating coil can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the length of the coil, the speed of rotation, and the angle between the coil and the magnetic field. Additionally, the number of turns in the coil and the resistance of the material used to make the coil can also impact the max voltage.

4. How can the max voltage induced in a rotating coil be increased?

The max voltage induced in a rotating coil can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, increasing the speed of rotation, or increasing the number of turns in the coil. Additionally, using a material with lower resistance and optimizing the angle between the coil and the magnetic field can also increase the max voltage.

5. How is the max voltage induced in a rotating coil used in real-world applications?

The max voltage induced in a rotating coil has various practical uses, such as in electric generators, motors, and transformers. In these applications, the voltage generated by the rotating coil is harnessed and used to power devices and equipment. It is also used in devices such as induction cooktops, which use an alternating magnetic field to heat up the cookware.