Faraday's law and perpetual motion

In summary, if Faraday's law had a positive sign instead of a negative sign, it would result in perpetual motion. This would violate the law of conservation of energy as the positive sign would not oppose the change in magnetic flux, leading to the object continuously increasing in velocity. While this may not be considered true perpetual motion, it would still be the correct answer in the context of the question.
Princess19
If a positive sign were present in Faraday's law instead of a negative sign, this would lead to perpetual motion..

True or false?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question?

no, its a test question and i want to see if i got it right :)

perpetual motion of?

I think the answer is true, since the sign is positive, it doesn't oppose the change in magnetic flux, therefore violating the law of conservation of energy, and itll never stop moving as it increases in velocity.

Agreed. Consider a wire ring in a changing magnetic field. The induced emf would generate a current whose magnetic field reinforced (instead of opposed) the external field, creating positive feedback. I wouldn't call that perpetual motion exactly, but in spirit "True" is the right answer.

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law, also known as Faraday's electromagnetic induction law, states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a closed circuit.

2. Who discovered Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law was discovered by English scientist Michael Faraday in the early 19th century.

3. How does Faraday's Law work?

Faraday's Law works by the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field creates a changing electric field, which results in an induced current in a closed circuit.

4. What are the applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law has many applications, including electric generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in technologies such as MRI machines and wireless charging.

5. What is the mathematical equation for Faraday's Law?

The mathematical equation for Faraday's Law is: V = -N(dΦ/dt), where V is the induced voltage, N is the number of turns in the coil, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.