1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Farady's law and div B = 0

1. Mar 3, 2007 #1
    I'm reading a book on electromagnetism and I am a bit confused about some things in Maxwells equations. This is what I don't like about many physics books: they are very wordy, but at the end you don't know what is an experimental fact, what is a "theorem", what is an assumption and so on,...

Anyway the questions are:

1. Is Faraday's law a consequence of Coulomb's and Biot-Savart's (or Ampere's) law?

2. Is divB = 0 consequence of Biot-Savart's law i.e. if we found the magnetic monopole, would that mean that Biot-Savart's law is not true? (I think so, but I am not 100% sure)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. No, it is a new law, not envisioned by Coulomb, Biot, Savart, nor even Farady until he discovered it.
    2. divB=0 is derivable from the B-S law. and was originally found that way,
    but one can start the study of magnetostatics with divB=0 and curlB~j and derive B-S. The two laws are compatible, each derivable from the other.
    If a magpole exists, then divB is no longer zero and a Coulomb-like term would have to be added to B-S, but B-S would still give the B field of a current. What EM book are you reading?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?