Farfield Probes Problems on CST MWS

• Thread starter lsw17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probes
In summary, Luca is having trouble with the farfield probes in CST MWS while designing a loop antenna. Despite obtaining a certain field measurement, when enlarging the simulation bandwidth and restarting, the field measured at the same frequency and probes is different. Luca is wondering if the probes give an absolute value and if changing the input signal could affect the field measurement. Luca is asking for help and advice from the group.
lsw17
Hi everybody!

I have some troubles with the farfield probes of the software CST MWS. I am designing a loop antenna and I want to measure with farfield probes the V/m at a certain distance from the loop (obviously in far - field region). After positioning the probes, I have obtained a certain value of field. I have tried to enlarge the bandwidth of the simulation and restart the simulation again, but THE FIELD MEASURED AT THE SAME FREQUENCY AT THE SAME PROBES WAS DIFFERENT FROM THE PRIEVIOUS SIMULATION! Obviously the CST have reached in both cases the convergence of the results using transient solver. When you enlarge the simulation BW, the input signal change, and so the enErgy (I've calculated it with MATLAB). I thougth that the problem should be that the probes give an absolute value and not relative so if the input signal change, also the field should be different...

Could anyone help me please?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards,

Luca

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Luca,

It sounds like you're having a difficult time with the CST MWS farfield probes. I'm sorry to hear that and I'm sure other people here have had similar issues. Have you tried reaching out to CST support for help? Maybe they can provide some insight into why the field measurement is different when you change the bandwidth. It could be worth a try. Hopefully someone here can provide some advice as well. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of using farfield probes in CST MWS?

Farfield probes are used in CST MWS to measure the farfield radiation pattern of an antenna or electromagnetic structure. This information is crucial in understanding how the device will perform in real-world scenarios.

2. How do farfield probes work in CST MWS?

Farfield probes use a specialized antenna to receive and measure the radiated electromagnetic field from the device under test. This information is then used to generate a farfield radiation pattern.

3. What are the common problems encountered when using farfield probes in CST MWS?

Some common problems with farfield probes in CST MWS include incorrect probe placement, interference from other structures or devices, and signal distortion due to environmental factors.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of farfield probe measurements in CST MWS?

To improve accuracy, it is important to carefully calibrate the farfield probe and ensure it is placed in the correct location. Additionally, reducing environmental noise and using advanced signal processing techniques can also improve accuracy.

5. Are there any alternatives to using farfield probes in CST MWS?

Yes, there are alternative methods for measuring farfield radiation patterns, such as using nearfield scanning techniques or simulation tools. However, farfield probes in CST MWS are a reliable and commonly used method for obtaining this information.