Solve Farm Gate Problem: Horiz Force on Bottom Hinge

• Thread starter xRandomx210
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gate
In summary, the conversation discusses Old MacDonald's farm and a squeaky gate, which is 3 meters wide and 2.47 meters tall. The gate has hinges attached to the top and bottom, and a guide wire with a tension of 221 N at an angle of 39 degrees. The mass of the gate is 30.9 kg. The question asks for the magnitude of the horizontal force exerted on the gate by the bottom hinge, which can be found by taking moments about the point of application of the unknown force. The solution involves setting up equations for the sum of forces in the x and y directions, and solving for the unknown force in terms of known values. The final answer should be in units of N.
xRandomx210
Old MacDonald had a farm, e i , e i , oh ! And
on that farm he had a gate, e i , e i , oh ! And
a squeak, squeak, here. A squeak, squeak,
there. And a squeak, squeak, everywhere . . .
The gate is ℓ = 3 m wide and h = 2.47 m
tall with hinges attached to the top and bot-
tom. The guide wire makes an angle of
α = 39 ◦ with the top of the gate and has
a tension of 221 N. The mass of the gate is
30.9 kg.

Determine the magnitude of the horizon-
tal force exerted on the gate by the bottom
hinge. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Answer in units of N.

Okay the reason why I am having problems with this is because well I am just not sure I know where to start. I think I am just missing something obvious, and my book does not have a whole lot to say about this type of problem. Any Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi xRandomx210! :smile:

(ooh, that gate is really annoying :frown: … if i help with the question, will you please oil it?)

There are only four external forces on the gate.

You know 2 of them, and you want one of them, but you don't know the fourth one, and and you don't want to know it, so … standard trick … take moments about the point of application of that unknown force. :wink:

Sorry for being a noob, but what does oiling it mean?

Just tried something, don't know if it is right or not.

Σfx= TCos(Theta) = H1x+H2x

where Hx is the force of the hinge in the x direction

Σfy=TSin(theta) + Hy1 + Hy2 = mg

ΣT = mg(L/2)-Tsin(theta)L= Hx(h)

from there you can slove out, but is the method correct?

Never mind the reason i got it wrong the first time was because i used 9.81 instead of 9.8 :C

1. What is a farm gate problem?

A farm gate problem refers to any issue or difficulty that arises with the operation, maintenance, or functionality of a farm gate. This can include problems with hinges, latches, alignment, or structural integrity.

2. What does "horiz force on bottom hinge" mean?

"Horiz force on bottom hinge" refers to the horizontal force that is applied to the bottom hinge of a farm gate. This force can come from various sources, such as wind, animals leaning on the gate, or heavy equipment passing through.

3. How does the horiz force on bottom hinge affect the farm gate?

The horiz force on bottom hinge can cause the gate to become misaligned or to sag, making it difficult to open and close properly. It can also put strain on the hinges, leading to wear and tear or even damage over time.

4. How can the farm gate problem of horiz force on bottom hinge be solved?

To solve this problem, the gate may need to be reinforced with additional support, such as a diagonal brace or a stronger hinge. Regular maintenance and adjustments may also help prevent this issue from occurring.

5. What are the potential consequences of not addressing the farm gate problem of horiz force on bottom hinge?

If left unaddressed, this problem can worsen and eventually lead to the gate becoming unusable. This can not only be a nuisance for farmers, but it can also pose a safety risk for animals and people who use the gate.