Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Farmers in India commit suicide over debts.

Tags:
  1. Apr 17, 2009 #1

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25346529-23109,00.html

Imagine the desperation that brings so many to such an end.

Heartbreaking.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    That's a surprsingly high number. I wonder if it's some cultural thing that makes Indian farmers more likely to commit suicide, or if we just don't hear about all of the other people who are also in dire financial situations doing the same.

Very heartbreaking.

4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    I remember reading about it a week ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7992327.stm

5. Apr 17, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are quite a lot of Indians (1.2Bn) and a large number of them are farmers.

6. Apr 17, 2009 #5
    It's not really cultural, but the truth is that the financial debts coupled with illiteracy make these farmers vulnerable to those looking to take an advantage. This ultimately drives them to suicide.

7. Apr 17, 2009 #6
    I thought this thread was about evil Monsanto and the suicides it will cause.

8. Apr 17, 2009 #7
    I was thinking that it is one of the cause. Small farmers can't survive due to increasing competition from bigger producers. There isn't any cultural thing in here or illiteracy I guess. I don't see one simple solution (like increasing literacy) that can prevent these suicides.

Maybe, encouraging people to work in service sector would reduce the problem.

9. Apr 17, 2009 #8
    Suicide rate is usually high when literacy is high and GDP is low. Suicide rate is less if the literacy rate is low.

10. Apr 17, 2009 #9
    Labor is dirt cheap in India. So if they went into the service industry with their background as rural farmers, they would basically be slaves. We used to and still have a few servants like that back home. Not illegal mind you, but the shame, conditions, and social scorn and worth are about equivalent for both.

11. Apr 18, 2009 #10
    i think some of it may be related to the new way of doing business. used to be that a farmer could keep a bit of his crop to use as seed the next season. this is no longer the case for a farmer that buys proprietary seed. he cannot save seed and must buy it again next year. and once he switched to commercial strains, he lost his heirloom varieties. maybe that heirloom seedstock was even contaminated by commercial strains.

this, of course, puts everyone now on the moneylenders' hamster wheel of dependency. good luck getting off.

12. Apr 19, 2009 #11
    How about their children?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook