Build a Farnsworth Fusor - Kevin's Guide

• Thread starter Kevin_Axion
  • Start date
In summary, people are trying to build devices that will create energy from the fusion of two atoms, but there are many risks involved.
Kevin_Axion
I know it isn't recommended to engineer such a device since it could be dangerous because of the amps involved but can anybody provide any materials and plans in designing such a fusor?

Thanks, Kevin

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd be more worried about the neutron radiation, but then again electrocution is no fun either. I would start looking at wikipedia, it generally has enough links and sources to find something good. If you feel ambitious enough you should a polywell. For some reason my mother still refers to it as a polywog.
Best wished, I hope you find what you need. As a fan of IEC I hope you succeed.

Farnsworth Fusors don't emit neutron radiation, supposedly. What easier to make and safer, Polywells or Farnsworth Fusors?

Last edited:
Kevin_Axion said:
Farnsworth Fusors don't emit neutron radiation, supposedly. What easier to make and safer, Polywells or Farnsworth Fusors?
Neutrons are emitted from the fusion reaction (d,t) => 14.1 MeV neutrons, or 50% of (d,d) fusions => few MeV neutrons. If there is no fusion, then it's pretty pointless to build a fusor.

There are aneutronic reactions of which the easist is the other 50% of d+d which produces p+He3, or He3+d, which produces He4 + p. But with d in the mix, there is invariably (d,d) reactions producing neutrons. If one accelerate He3 into d, and keep d's below are reasonable energy threshold, then this mitigates neutron formation. However He3 is quite rare on earth, and is quite expensive.

What if you just use air?

Kevin_Axion said:
What if you just use air?
Well - one would ionize air and produce heat, infrared radiation, visible light, UV and possibly low energy X-rays depending on the potential. One will not however obtain fusion reactions.

Thanks, thought it would be an interesting project but now it just seems pointless (I can't afford Helium-3 although if I lived on the Moon I'd think otherwise and Tritium is like $30,000 for 10 grams) and unsafe, I wasn't sure if their would be neutron radiation. But Astronuc you're right if it were fusion then there would be neutron emissions and magnetic fields can't contain them, although if I had a block of lead it might scatter them back inside.
Anyways, Thanks, Kevin

1. What is a Farnsworth Fusor?

A Farnsworth Fusor is a high-vacuum device that uses an electric field to heat and compress a gas, creating a plasma. It was invented by Philo T. Farnsworth in the 1960s and was initially intended for nuclear fusion experiments.

2. How does a Farnsworth Fusor work?

A Farnsworth Fusor works by using a high-voltage electric field to accelerate positively charged particles (ions) towards a negatively charged central electrode. As the ions collide with each other in the center, they can fuse together, releasing energy.

3. Can I build a Farnsworth Fusor at home?

Yes, it is possible to build a Farnsworth Fusor at home with the right materials and equipment. However, it can be a complex and potentially dangerous project, so it is important to thoroughly research and understand the process before attempting it.

4. What materials are needed to build a Farnsworth Fusor?

The basic materials needed to build a Farnsworth Fusor include a high-voltage power supply, a vacuum pump, a vacuum chamber, and various electrodes and insulators. Some additional materials, such as deuterium gas, may also be needed for plasma experiments.

5. Can a Farnsworth Fusor produce sustainable fusion energy?

No, a Farnsworth Fusor is not capable of producing sustainable fusion energy. It is a demonstration of the concept of nuclear fusion and can produce small amounts of fusion reactions, but it is not a practical source of energy due to its low efficiency and high energy input requirements.