The Appeal of Dressing Fashionably for Men

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary, guys who dress fashionably tend to be more attractive to women. This is because they dress in a sophisticated way that shows they care about their appearance. They also tend to be more comfortable in formal clothing, because they don't rely on it as much. However, the cost of fashionable clothing can be prohibitive for some, and may not be necessary for others.
Evo said:
Even I know that no one could stand my whining for more than a month. I go through men like other people go through kleenex. :redface:

That made me lol.

--

I used to think dressing up was a big waste of time.
For Halloween, my friends and I dressed up like the guy in this youtube video..

with all the sayings and everything. Thing was, people laughed at the jokes and everything, but random girls at the halloween party would come up and dance with us, it was funny as hell, and pretty sweet too. It actually works, popped collar and all. haha, but I couldn't respect myself if I dressed like that every day.

Now I stick to the more subtle dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up.
And when I'm feeling dangerous, I wear the dress shirt underneath a light sweater and roll the sleeves up. It's pretty much a chick magnet. These are a couple examples..

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat380163&productId=2171_7681
http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat40005&productId=prod4250382

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
:rofl:

Even I know that no one could stand my whining for more than a month. I go through men like other people go through kleenex. :redface:

So, you'll die alone? The kleenex box will go empty eventually.

mikeknick04 said:
That made me lol.

--

I used to think dressing up was a big waste of time.
For Halloween, my friends and I dressed up like the guy in this youtube video..

with all the sayings and everything. Thing was, people laughed at the jokes and everything, but random girls at the halloween party would come up and dance with us, it was funny as hell, and pretty sweet too. It actually works, popped collar and all. haha, but I couldn't respect myself if I dressed like that every day.

Now I stick to the more subtle dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up.
And when I'm feeling dangerous, I wear the dress shirt underneath a light sweater and roll the sleeves up. It's pretty much a chick magnet. These are a couple examples..

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat380163&productId=2171_7681
http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat40005&productId=prod4250382

You're essentially wearing what a lot of guys wear to begin with. No different than wearing a popped collar or something.

I can't stand A&F/AE anymore, it was so popular when I was in high school. I think you'll eventually find the designs quite cheap and boring. The odors in the stores are obnoxious.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I can't stand A&F/AE anymore, it was so popular when I was in high school. I think you'll eventually find the designs quite cheap and boring. The odors in the stores are obnoxious.

Abercrombie polos are like the better quality polos out there. (Talking about common brands and not high prices clothing here.)

American Eagle polos are garbage. You can't even compare the two stores in that respect.

Old Navy are the worst I've seen.

Tommy Hilfiger... made for overweight people... need I say more.

JasonRox said:
Abercrombie polos are like the better quality polos out there. (Talking about common brands and not high prices clothing here.)

American Eagle polos are garbage. You can't even compare the two stores in that respect.

Old Navy are the worst I've seen.

Tommy Hilfiger... made for overweight people... need I say more.

:rofl: Soooo true.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Some items are fine at A&F, albeit overpriced. The destroyed jeans look is overdone. I've got to agree that the scent is overwhelming. The loud music is annoying too.

I wouldn't walk into A&F if you paid me.

But it's shopping and and a dance party. How can you say no to that?

I personally have no preference to wear I shop; if it fits right, looks right, and is worth the price tag to me so be it. Most things at A&F wouldn't meet that criteria, but whatever.

Greg Bernhardt said:

You know you're getting old when ... :wink:

cristo said:
You know you're getting old when ... :wink:

cristo FTW.

And I agree w/ Cyrus, I hate walking into A&F and even Hollister for that matter.. they pump those places with so much cologne and terrible techno music.. at least here in the states.

Alright, so we've spent plenty of time bashing the 'pop' brands, what brand would you wear if you had to spend some coin to dress up? Or is dressing up not something you look forward to..

Theres another fashion advice thread somewhere around here with the answer you your question mike.

AF, Aero, Gap, Hollister, etc. are all for kids aged 12-21. Once you graduate from college you shouldn't wear that crap anymore.

To be honest, I weat Abercrombie. I like the polos there. And no, not the ones that say Abercrombie on them. You wouldn't even know where they're from without looking at the little tiny logo (not entirely true... Old Navy polos are so horrible, I can recognize them for far away.)

For me, I haven't spent money on clothes for well over a year. Hard to know where I'd go now. I know I'm looking for a darking shade of blue for jeans (got rid of a lot of them). And, basically, most of what I want in style is too expensive, so I stick to a style I can afford. My only beef with my style now is that I still look very young. I'm 25, but most guess me as 19-20 just about everytime. I really don't mind, but it's just kind of strange.

JasonRox said:
To be honest, I weat Abercrombie. I like the polos there. And no, not the ones that say Abercrombie on them. You wouldn't even know where they're from without looking at the little tiny logo (not entirely true... Old Navy polos are so horrible, I can recognize them for far away.)

For me, I haven't spent money on clothes for well over a year. Hard to know where I'd go now. I know I'm looking for a darking shade of blue for jeans (got rid of a lot of them). And, basically, most of what I want in style is too expensive, so I stick to a style I can afford. My only beef with my style now is that I still look very young. I'm 25, but most guess me as 19-20 just about everytime. I really don't mind, but it's just kind of strange.

It's because you do wear that abercombie type stuff.

Cyrus said:
It's because you do wear that abercombie type stuff.

I know!

That's the frustrating part.

Well, then don't wear it.

Cyrus said:
Well, then don't wear it.

Um... it's what I own.

I'm comfortable naked, but that's not legal.

im big on abercrombie/ hollister. abercrombie for jeans and hollister for shirts. I am small and the clothes are quite form fitting. a lot of the time, especially in the summer i usually go with a band shirt or a white hanes t shirt. shamefully, I've been wearing a fitted for the past few days. i needed something to cover my messed up hair every day haha

JasonRox said:
Um... it's what I own.

I'm comfortable naked, but that's not legal.

its beginning to be illegal in your own house. my neighbor saw me nude in my house and they called the cops. why they were looking into my windows is beyond me. but, i was the one that had to put my clothes back on.

offtheleft said:
its beginning to be illegal in your own house. my neighbor saw me nude in my house and they called the cops. why they were looking into my windows is beyond me. but, i was the one that had to put my clothes back on.

ANd how do they suppose you have sex?

JasonRox said:
ANd how do they suppose you have sex?

usually the lights are off and I am laying down when that goes down. a lot of the time it goes down at the girls house. i have a little sister so i try not to do anything like that when there is a slight chance that she can walk in

Lately I've found things I like at Express Men or H&M, though I tend to like the former more so than the latter.

offtheleft said:
usually the lights are off and I am laying down when that goes down. a lot of the time it goes down at the girls house. i have a little sister so i try not to do anything like that when there is a slight chance that she can walk in

You turn the lights off? I hate the lights off. I don't remember the last time that happened.

Plus, what if you want to do it in the kitchen, living room, the closet... etc...

this has to do with clothing how......(raises eyebrow)

Cyrus said:
this has to do with clothing how......(raises eyebrow)

I enjoy wearing a fine suit when engaging in adult activities.

"Fashionable" is a relative term, so by definition only 1/2 of us guys can dress that way.

As for me, I'm following Kurdt's lead and wearing this very stylish racing helmet:
th_Kurdt-anim-C.gif

As I'm sure Kurdt will agree, it provides ample protection against governmental mind control experiments. I am willing to fit anybody's avatar with a protective Kurdt helmet, but please note that supplies are limited. Price negotiable.

Redbelly98 said:
"Fashionable" is a relative term, so by definition only 1/2 of us guys can dress that way.

As for me, I'm following Kurdt's lead and wearing this very stylish racing helmet:
th_Kurdt-anim-C.gif

As I'm sure Kurdt will agree, it provides ample protection against governmental mind control experiments. I am willing to fit anybody's avatar with a protective Kurdt helmet, but please note that supplies are limited. Price negotiable.

:rofl:

I'm pretty sure that to be fully protected, you need to line it with tin foil.

Of course. What makes you think it isn't? :biggrin:

SticksandStones said:
I enjoy wearing a fine suit when engaging in adult activities.
...every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

turbo-1 said:
...every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

For sure!

I had to walk through JC Penny to get inside the mall when I saw Levis Silver Tab jeans. A pair caught my eye (pretty dark jeans, slim straights), I tried them on and holy **** they fit absolutely perfectly. It's almost as if they had my exact body in mind when making them. Normally I never get *ANYTHING* at JC Penny, but this turned out great. They were on sale for 36.99 so I got a pair (they usually run around 59.99 I think, and I would have bought them for that price as well). The only problem is that they have the tightest pockets I've ever encountered in any jeans. Ever. When they are off of me, laying on the ground, it's hard to get my cell phone out of the pocket.

Last edited:
Oh! So that was a cell phone in your pocket?

I am relieved.

just got my hair cut! ill post pics shortly. cyrus, tell me if its good or not. i value your opinion.

moose said:
I had to walk through JC Penny to get inside the mall when I saw Levis Silver Tab jeans. A pair caught my eye (pretty dark jeans, slim straights), I tried them on and holy **** they fit absolutely perfectly. It's almost as if they had my exact body in mind when making them. Normally I never get *ANYTHING* at JC Penny, but this turned out great. They were on sale for 36.99 so I got a pair (they usually run around 59.99 I think, and I would have bought them for that price as well). The only problem is that they have the tightest pockets I've ever encountered in any jeans. Ever. When they are off of me, laying on the ground, it's hard to get my cell phone out of the pocket.

Seriously moose, it's time to upgrade your cell phone.

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/383/oldcellphoneix7.jpg