The Appeal of Dressing Fashionably for Men

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary, guys who dress fashionably tend to be more attractive to women. This is because they dress in a sophisticated way that shows they care about their appearance. They also tend to be more comfortable in formal clothing, because they don't rely on it as much. However, the cost of fashionable clothing can be prohibitive for some, and may not be necessary for others.
Monique said:
I don't know about fashion, some trends are better to be avoided.. like the shapeless clothes that are all over the stores right now, it is impossible to find something shape-fitting. I'm a little intrigued by the talk of tailoring, what would be the most common things that you would get fixed by a tailor and what fabrics would best be suited for refitting?

That's because you live in Europe. American shirts are for fat people, literally. If I buy a button up shirt at any american brand store, it's spills out all over the place when I tuck it into my pants. When I try on shirts from European stores they are cut for slim people and it fits into my pants neatly. So I have to get the chest/waist of the shirt brought in. They usually cut out like 5 inches on each side!

That's how I can tell if someone doesn't know how to dress themselves (Guys). You'll see them 'dressed up' with their shirts tucked in their pants spilling out all over the place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
That's because you live in Europe. American shirts are for fat people, literally. If I buy a button up shirt at any american brand store, it's spills out all over the place when I tuck it into my pants. When I try on shirts from European stores they are cut for slim people and it fits into my pants neatly. So I have to get the chest/waist of the shirt brought in. They usually cut out like 5 inches on each side!

That's how I can tell if someone doesn't know how to dress themselves (Guys). You'll see them 'dressed up' with their shirts tucked in their pants spilling out all over the place.

give me an example of some of these european brands. I am a thin guy and i find it quite ugly when I am wearing a button down size 14.5 and it makes me look like a hot-air-balloon.

It's funny to see that there are guys here who are particular about their clothing. My bf is of the same type, if it were up to him he'd only wear Ralph Lauren Purple Label. It's a nightmare to go shopping with him, as he is really picky. At one point I got him to like clothes of a main-stream store (they had really nice shirts/pants), but he has deprecated them as the cuffs started to wear (according to him, I can't see anything wrong with them :rolleyes:).

Here I have no life so I took some pictures to illustrate a point:

The first one is unaltered. The second one is a tailored shirt. The third is a custom made shirt to all my body measurements. Its also in increasing price as you go right. You get what you pay for!

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/8423/baggyxv3.png

The pants should have a belt (I was lazy). I also think they are a bit too baggy. I have not had them altered yet either. I should probably have those and the first shirt done.

Last edited by a moderator:
offtheleft said:
give me an example of some of these european brands. I am a thin guy and i find it quite ugly when I am wearing a button down size 14.5 and it makes me look like a hot-air-balloon.

Hugo boss - expensive but it will fit you
Zara - thin european cuts because the company is from spain

If you are lucky you can find some at regular department stores for slim fit. If so, by all means buy it instead of the more expensive Hugo shirt. I literally can't find one that fits my neck and isn't too short on the arms, so I have to get them custom made. The ones I buy from the store are too big on the neck so I don't wear them with a tie, ever.

If you can spend the money, just get a custom shirt. It has many advantages. If it starts to go bad in the collar or cuffs, they can just replace it with a new one of the same material and it won't cost you the price of an entire new shirt. You can also specify exactly how you want the shirt to look, how many buttons, what type of cuff. You can make exactly what you want. One pocket, two pockets, no pockets.

Cyrus said:
Hugo boss - expensive but it will fit you

If you are lucky you can find some at regular department stores for slim fit. If so, by all means buy it instead of the more expensive Hugo shirt. I literally can't find one that fits my neck and isn't too short on the arms, so I have to get them custom made. The ones I buy from the store are too big on the neck so I don't wear them with a tie, ever.

If you can spend the money, just get a custom shirt. It has many advantages. If it starts to go bad in the collar or cuffs, they can just replace it with a new one of the same material and it won't cost you the price of an entire new shirt. You can also specify exactly how you want the shirt to look, how many buttons, what type of cuff. You can make exactly what you want. One pocket, two pockets, no pockets.

where can i get a custom shirt from? I am guessing not just anywhere.

but there are two major shopping malls in my area and both have some section of a department store for just hugo boss and some other big name designers. especially one mall about an hour away... short hills mall. big big rich area.

but, ill look into zara as well

Cyrus said:

Perfect, that's the name I was looking for earlier.

Cyrus said:

Same issue here.

It's really an American thing. I bought plain t-shirts from Le 31 which is just a Quebec branch, and they all fit well around the neck.

Maybe people are getting fat to fit in their clothes properly. :eek:

Cyrus said:
Here I have no life so I took some pictures to illustrate a point:

The first one is unaltered. The second one is a tailored shirt. The third is a custom made shirt to all my body measurements. Its also in increasing price as you go right. You get what you pay for!

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/8423/baggyxv3.png

The pants should have a belt (I was lazy). I also think they are a bit too baggy. I have not had them altered yet either. I should probably have those and the first shirt done.

Dude, you got pleats! Gross!

Pants with pleats tend to be cheap and pants that went all sale. I bet you go somewhere where they have suits on sale (full attire) and all of them will have pleats.

I was wearing a suit everyday, different ones, in the summer and none of them had pleats. None of the other guys had them at work too.

Spend the extra money for pants with no pleats... not one... none.

Very disapointed.

Note: When I get my digital camera back, I'll take a picture of one of my pants. Cellphone camera doesn't show up well.

Monique said:
It's funny to see that there are guys here who are particular about their clothing. My bf is of the same type, if it were up to him he'd only wear Ralph Lauren Purple Label. It's a nightmare to go shopping with him, as he is really picky. At one point I got him to like clothes of a main-stream store (they had really nice shirts/pants), but he has deprecated them as the cuffs started to wear (according to him, I can't see anything wrong with them :rolleyes:).

Some girls have fun if they're with me... for the first hour.

Some think it's funny that I'll try on and everything and walk away buying nothing or very few out of all that I tried.

A lot of time when I go shopping, I'll wear shorts and a plain t-shirt. The easiest way to just try on a bunch of stuff. The only probably I have with this is looking like a bum. But since I only shop in the US, it's average. :wink:

Hahaha, fashion conscious scientists? what?!

In my case I have to go to different stores in order to find exactly what I like and fits me right.

For shirts: I usually buy mainly Nautica, Ralph Lauren, and Perry Ellis. Other brands with stuff I like and fits me well are Oscar de la Renta, Kenneth Cole and others.

For jeans: I like American Eagle, Aeropostale, and recently I bought a couple of MEK Denim jeans from a store called Buckle. I liked them too.

For t-shirts: I buy everywhere. Stores like Hot Topic, PacSun, Nautica, Aeropostale and more

For winter clothing (jackets, sweaters and etc.): I bought most of it from Zara. I like their style. The jacket I like the most is from them.

For dress pants: I usually buy mainly Ralph Lauren, Polo, and Roundtree & Yorke. I might look in other brands if I don't seem to find what I like.

For shoes:

Now that's another story. I don't like wearing much sneakers, I like comfortable shoes a bit on the sport-like look. However, I always need at least a pair of sneakers, especially because I play soccer sometimes and I go to the gym. I usually just check out Nike or Reebok or other similar brands for a pair I like.

Now for the shoes!. I don't have any specific brands I check out. I pick the shoes based on look depending on purpose (business, pleasure, others), comfortability, and quality of materials (I like my shoes to last long).

I've bought from Gordon Rush, Steve Madden, Ecco (danish super comfortable shoes), Sperry, Mezlan (spanish brand with classic designs), Adam Derrick, and others.

My experience so far buying clothes is that you should look for quality in the materials, the style you like, and also important the fit.

JasonRox said:
Dude, you got pleats! Gross!

Pants with pleats tend to be cheap and pants that went all sale. I bet you go somewhere where they have suits on sale (full attire) and all of them will have pleats.

I was wearing a suit everyday, different ones, in the summer and none of them had pleats. None of the other guys had them at work too.

Spend the extra money for pants with no pleats... not one... none.

Very disapointed.

Note: When I get my digital camera back, I'll take a picture of one of my pants. Cellphone camera doesn't show up well.

This post made me laugh because I'm not a fan of them either. I only have two pairs of pants with pleats (dockers). But in general, don't confuse pleats with being cheap. It's a different style, that's it. There are plenty of suits out there with pleats that will cost an arm and a leg. It's a matter of taste.

Last edited:
Are pleats back in? I remember watching "what not to wear" and they were making fun of the woman because she was still wearing those gastly pleated women's pants from the 80's. They said pleats were out and not to wear them. This was a couple of years ago.

Ok, I checked fall fashion 2008, pleats are coming back into style. OH NO. I do not look good in pleated pants. I have no waist line and no hips, no rear end, and skinny legs. I will look like I'm wearing clown pants again. I might as well add a little tutu. :cry: Some people can carry them off, I can't.

I can't decide between these two lovely dresses from the new fall fashion line. The first one costs $436, the 2nd $429. :bugeye: The purse is only $2,000.

Attachments

• ugly dress.jpg
    ugly dress.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 351
  • dress prison.jpg
    dress prison.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 337
  • $2,000 purse.jpg
    $2,000 purse.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 335
Evo said:
I can't decide between these two lovely dresses from the new fall fashion line. The first one costs $436, the 2nd $429. :bugeye: The purse is only $2,000.

Evo, I think you're a "winter type", which would make these your basic colors:

http://www.wintertype.net/images/wintertype-kleuren.jpg

Consequently, neither of the three would be the optimum.

And if anyone is wondering. I think the dresses and purse are ugly. (no offense to anyone that loves them)

I won't be caught dead in something with pleats.(Darts, I'll do, but no pleats) It makes me look super fat and makes my hips look really wide.(It doesn't help that I have curves, that I have to try to fit) It could just me me thinking this, because everyone else says I look like a twig.

Evo, I love the first dress, and adore the purse :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm addicted to shoes, and well purses are good too. But, that is because I have to carry a lot of school things in it, and everyone asks me for things, and well, I always have it :biggrin: My purses are kinda large, to fit everything. I'm not one for dresses, I go more for skirts, though.

Evo said:
I have no waist line and no hips, no rear end, and skinny legs.

You're really doing a good job of selling yourself!

Evo said:

I liked the second one :approve:

Oh my, those two dresses reminded me of the old housecoats my grandmother wore.:eek:

Well, if you liked those, you'll love these.

I'm too lazy to crop the pictures. The dresses I'm referring to are the dresses on the left in the 1st two pictures and the one on the right in the third.

Attachments

• dress yuck.jpg
    dress yuck.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 393
  • dress hat.jpg
    dress hat.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 344
  • dress red.jpg
    dress red.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 384
Who on Earth would wear any of those? Total grandma look happening there.

Those are kinda bad patterns and you lose the look of the body in baggy clothes.

Evo said:
Oh my, those two dresses reminded me of the old housecoats my grandmother wore.:eek:

I'm too lazy to crop the pictures. The dresses I'm referring to are the dresses on the left in the 1st two pictures and the one on the right in the third.

...vomit.

Evo said:
Are pleats back in? I remember watching "what not to wear" and they were making fun of the woman because she was still wearing those gastly pleated women's pants from the 80's. They said pleats were out and not to wear them. This was a couple of years ago.

Ok, I checked fall fashion 2008, pleats are coming back into style. OH NO. I do not look good in pleated pants. I have no waist line and no hips, no rear end, and skinny legs. I will look like I'm wearing clown pants again. I might as well add a little tutu. :cry: Some people can carry them off, I can't.

Okay, there's a difference between pleats and ghastly 1980s old-lady pleats! :bugeye: The pleated skirts that my old great aunt used to wear would never look good on anyone, and never did. Pleats on more modern, stylish skirts are more like little tucks than full pleats. Though, sure, there is no one style that works on every body type, so you might still want to avoid them. I just don't get why some people in this thread (and I don't mean you here) seem to think that just because a style looks bad on them that it's a bad style in general. It just means it's a bad style for them and their body type.

The style of those dresses doesn't bother me in terms of pleats/darts or overall shape (they might actually look good on me), but the colors/patterns are hideous! :yuck:

Pleats in men's pants have never gone out of style. Though, I agree with Cyrus that they are better in pants you'll wear with a belt for a dressier look...then again, I don't think men look all that good without belts. Some can carry off that look, but most need that extra belt to keep their pants from falling off since they shouldn't have hips like women do.

As for the "baggy" shirt, it just looks like it's not tucked in all the way. Is it too long? It's kind of hard to tell since it seems like the pants are too big and the shirt is coming untucked quickly. It also looks like the sleeves are way to wide too though, so the rest of the shirt doesn't start to hang in the right place. It really doesn't make sense, unless you have very wide shoulders and are buying extra-large shirts or something. Afterall, if someone is putting on a lot of weight in the middle, they're also going to be putting it on in the chest and shoulders and everywhere else, so would just need to buy a bigger size, not have a smaller size cut wider around the middle. But, what brand was that? If I ever need maternity clothing, I'll remember who has the shirts that are narrow in the shoulders and wide in the middle. :biggrin:

Though, I went out shopping today and am finding a frustrating new problem...when did clothing manufacturers decide that women's arms have all grown two inches longer?! :grumpy: Almost every shirt or sweater I tried on had sleeves that were WAY too long. What sort of ape-like arms are these made for? I found only two sweaters that had proper length arms and that weren't shapeless sacks of yarn (I expected to sift through shapeless sacks of yarn...that's always been a problem with winter sweaters).

I'm not really even sure if it's so much that any of the clothing is being cut for fatter or slimmer people, but more that it's just cheap imported crap from sweatshops with no quality control, so nobody is checking that the proportions of the clothing make any sense for anyone.

Evo said:

:yuck: You know it's bad when the runway model looks like a boy wearing his grandmother's dress (that first picture). :uhh: The middle one isn't bad, but you really have to have the right body shape to pull off a coat dress and not look like you're a streaker running around in nothing but a trench coat. I can't pull off that look at all. As for the last one, I'm not sure there's a body type in the world that could look good in that. Hey, on the plus side, if this whole academic career doesn't work out for me, I might have a future in the fashion industry. I can sew something that looks that good. :uhh: Heck, I think I could do the first one too, but might need the help of a 5-year old with finger paints. I'd sew the big long tube with sleeves, and then hand it over to the 5-year old to color.

I totally agree with Moonbear. Not all people can pull off looks and some goes the other way, just because it looks like crap on me doesn't mean it will look like that on you.

And as for the long sleeves...I always have a problem finding sleeves and pant legs that are long enough for me. Where did you go shopping, they might have stuff to finally fit me :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
And as for the long sleeves...I always have a problem finding sleeves and pant legs that are long enough for me. Where did you go shopping, they might have stuff to finally fit me :biggrin:

The stuff in the department stores wasn't worth buying even if the sleeves fit, but if you want something with longer sleeves that fits nicely, try New York & Co for blouses. I usually like their blouses because they fit me just right...they're slender through the waist for a very attractive profile. But, for some reason, this year, all the sleeves are longer, so they don't fit. I still bought one because I LOVED the color (a dark blue with silver stripes) and rest of the fit, just need to get myself to a tailor now to get the sleeves shortened. They're actually long enough that I can roll the cuff once and it's then the right length, but it's not styled for rolling the cuffs so I can't really wear it that way. Or, maybe I'll make it my practice shirt to see if I can sew cuffs right (since it has stripes, it'll make it easier for me to follow straight lines while sewing).

I've been gradually learning to sew things that are actually wearable, and I'm getting braver with doing my own alterations. I knew some basics, but needed a lot of practice, so first practiced making scrubs. I just bought whatever fabric was on sale for those, and figured it doesn't make a bit of difference if the seams weren't perfectly straight or they didn't come out like I planned since scrubs aren't exactly fashion-forward anyway. :rolleyes: They actually came out well, and of all the things I get compliments on, they're the thing I most often get compliments about (you have to keep in mind that I work at a medical school with attached hospital, so there are a lot of people who have no choice but to wear scrubs all day, so anything that is a print that's not psychedelic daisies or puppies with stethoscopes and also fits somewhat well is going to get attention from those who want to know where to get them. I've been told I should open a side business making scrubs. Anyway, I moved on from that to trying my hand at real clothes this summer, and made a sundress. My boyfriend loves that one on me, so I must've done something right (he'd tell me if it didn't look good...it would be an excuse to make me take it off :devil:). That was still a fairly simple pattern. But, now that my skills are improving, the next thing I want to learn to make are blouses and men's shirts. My boyfriend would LOVE it if I could make him shirts. I'm not sure I'm up to his level of quality by a long shot yet, but I'm up for trying and learning and practicing until I get it right. I wouldn't start out making anything I actually expected him to wear, just stuff out of cheap fabric to practice and get an idea of how to adjust the fit and make my seams straight, etc. The collars look the trickiest to get right. I have to get a worn-out shirt from him to take apart for a pattern though (that's how I've been learning...I take something that I like the fit or style of but is worn out and take it apart then try to reconstruct it).

Moonbear said:
As for the "baggy" shirt, it just looks like it's not tucked in all the way. Is it too long? It's kind of hard to tell since it seems like the pants are too big and the shirt is coming untucked quickly. It also looks like the sleeves are way to wide too though, so the rest of the shirt doesn't start to hang in the right place. It really doesn't make sense, unless you have very wide shoulders and are buying extra-large shirts or something. Afterall, if someone is putting on a lot of weight in the middle, they're also going to be putting it on in the chest and shoulders and everywhere else, so would just need to buy a bigger size, not have a smaller size cut wider around the middle. But, what brand was that? If I ever need maternity clothing, I'll remember who has the shirts that are narrow in the shoulders and wide in the middle. :biggrin:

No, its tucked in all the way. Now you know why I have all my dress shirts tailored or custom made. I'm not kidding when I say shirts for men are for horrendously fat people. Did you notice the last two shirts are *not* coming out, at all, with the same pants?
My shoulders are pretty broad though. I can't remember the brand, and the shirt is at the tailor now ($20.00). I'll retake a picture when it comes back.

Moonbear, how will I know what size to get with that company? Since every company's sizes are different. Most people think that I should be wearing an XS but in most stores that I have been going to, they make me to be like sizes M-XL. What's wrong with the stores I'm going to, they make the smallest person feel so fat, and that's real great for insecure teens.

Cyrus said:
No, its tucked in all the way.

I don't see how it can be tucked all the way in. If it was just too wide, it would be in gathers all the way around, not poofing up like that...that's just not tucked in far enough. It's too long (maybe too long AND too wide, but definitely too long if there's that much left to poof up while it's tucked all the way in as far as you can get it).

(And those pants really are too big on you...that's not a good cut for your body at all. I don't think the pleats have anything to do with it, they're big all the way down the leg...those are cut for someone with big thighs, which you clearly don't have. If it's not too late, you might want to return them.)

mcknia07 said:
Moonbear, how will I know what size to get with that company? Since every company's sizes are different. Most people think that I should be wearing an XS but in most stores that I have been going to, they make me to be like sizes M-XL. What's wrong with the stores I'm going to, they make the smallest person feel so fat, and that's real great for insecure teens.

Um...I just figured you'd find one of their stores in a mall and try the clothes on. :uhh: That brand tends to run a bit on the small side. I usually have to buy a size larger than what I'd buy elsewhere there (or maybe that just means they run true to size rather than all the others that run big to supposedly make you feel good while remaining in denial about your real size). If you're an XS, that's DEFINITELY a store for you to find. I can only buy shirts there, and once in a while find a rare pair of pants that I fit. They are really aimed toward thinner customers. It's also generally good quality without totally breaking the bank (not cheap, but not ridiculously expensive either). Everything I've ever bought from them has lasted a very long time...usually longer than I remain that size. But, they have some different styles and fits of things...I don't think you could easily buy from them through a catalog without trying on clothes. If our crappy little mall here has one of their stores, I'm sure you can find them in a mall near you too.

I just found out where one is, about an hour or so from me. And, I have to go shopping soon, we are having a family picture and I NEED a new outfit, plus work clothes too :biggrin: Oh, and maybe some more shoes, too. Does anyone know where to get nice long pants? Do the pants run long at NY&Co.?

Moonbear said:
I don't see how it can be tucked all the way in. If it was just too wide, it would be in gathers all the way around, not poofing up like that...that's just not tucked in far enough. It's too long (maybe too long AND too wide, but definitely too long if there's that much left to poof up while it's tucked all the way in as far as you can get it).

Typically, shirts have more play in the back than the front. You don't bend backwards, but you bend fowards. So there needs to be more slack in the back, not the front. That's why the back of your shirt will poof more than the front. Its just the natural motion of a person.

I know its hard to believe, but I'm telling you on my honor. It was tucked in as much as I could! This is how I did it for each shirt. I tuck it in as much as I can, and then I rotate my upper body around my hips and move my back up and down. This is the range of motion you go through as you're wearing the shirt. If its too big, it will poof out as you move around throughout the day. Now if you look at the white shirt, after moving around everything stays exactly the same. You can't see it, but the custom white shirt is really long. It goes at least 6 inches down into the pants. Its made in such a way that you couldn't wear it without tucking it in. The reason is that some shirts are short and when you move around parts of it come out from being tucked inside your pants. These will *never* do that - there far too long.

(And those pants really are too big on you...that's not a good cut for your body at all. I don't think the pleats have anything to do with it, they're big all the way down the leg...those are cut for someone with big thighs, which you clearly don't have. If it's not too late, you might want to return them.)

Yes, I agree. I bought them a long time ago, a few years ago. And they have been sitting in the closet. I'm going to take them and have them altered too. They are way too baggy.

They are actually the only pair of pants I have that are so damn baggy! I was going to wear my black slacks that fit properly, but I figured the first shirt would look funny in black pants so I just wore the khakis since all the shirts could be worn with it as an example.

Last edited:
I believe Cyrus, It has happened to me before, too!. I think that's why European and Latin (at least for me) clothes tend to fit us better. Although I do buy from American brands, just sometimes I have to resign myself from buying a shirt or other specific item because of the bagginess or puffiness.

You guys are so lucky. Shopping in the US is so much better than here in Canada. Our choices are sssssoooooo limited, and if you go to Toronto it's darn expensive.

I'm lucky I live near the border of a big city, but it still kind of sucks to drive to another country for clothes. I actually don't remember buying clothes in Canada except when I got that 20% discount. Even with a weak dollar, it's still cheaper. Crazy.

Cyrus said:
Typically, shirts have more play in the back than the front. You don't bend backwards, but you bend fowards. So there needs to be more slack in the back, not the front. That's why the back of your shirt will poof more than the front. Its just the natural motion of a person.

I know its hard to believe, but I'm telling you on my honor. It was tucked in as much as I could! This is how I did it for each shirt. I tuck it in as much as I can, and then I rotate my upper body around my hips and move my back up and down. This is the range of motion you go through as you're wearing the shirt. If its too big, it will poof out as you move around throughout the day. Now if you look at the white shirt, after moving around everything stays exactly the same. You can't see it, but the custom white shirt is really long. It goes at least 6 inches down into the pants. Its made in such a way that you couldn't wear it without tucking it in. The reason is that some shirts are short and when you move around parts of it come out from being tucked inside your pants. These will *never* do that - there far too long.

Yes, I agree. I bought them a long time ago, a few years ago. And they have been sitting in the closet. I'm going to take them and have them altered too. They are way too baggy.

They are actually the only pair of pants I have that are so damn baggy! I was going to wear my black slacks that fit properly, but I figured the first shirt would look funny in black pants so I just wore the khakis since all the shirts could be worn with it as an example.

You can't fix big shirts no matter what you do.

American style shirts should be banned from the planet.