Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fashion to be skinny?

1. Jan 24, 2006 #1
    How come that for each year that passes it becomes more and more fashion for males to be skinny and somewhat feminine?

I couldnt stop laughing when I heard girls refer to Tobey Maguire as buff/muscular after he got bit by the spider in spiderman. :rofl:

What happaned to the good old days when guys wanted to look like the old greek gods, Arnold, Stallone, Steve Reeves or Lou Ferrigno(ok, this might be pushing it cause he is one uggly bloke), not like Tobey Maguire or (god forbid:surprised ) Aston Kutcher:confused:

What can be the casue for strong(physicaly) males not beeing desirable anymore?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I like skinny, whimpy guys, with glasses. I always have. :redface:

4. Jan 24, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Who wanted to look like Arnold?

It's never been like that at all. Not that I know of anyways.

Note: They were hardly ever desired. These guys went to far with it.

You got this all wrong.

Who said girls have to like muscular men anyways?

Note: If you thought you were going to get girls by working out, I say that's the funniest thing ever.

5. Jan 24, 2006 #4
    Because when it's too hard to look like that, it's best to just settle for what takes less work. Kinda like, If you ever read 'america the book' you might remember the picture with the really fat chick and the caption that read "in 50 years, you will want to 'tap' this." we will just keep lowering our standards until fat is hot.

6. Jan 24, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's false.

Fat will never be hot. It will just be hot relative to others.

In our minds, man will always want a thin female over a fat female.

7. Jan 24, 2006 #6
    hahah fat will be hot, what an interesting perspective. but in the same vein, in female minds the would have wanted a strong male to protect them instinctively, but now they want skinny indie guys

8. Jan 24, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I am zeus.

9. Jan 24, 2006 #8
    Skinny is not hot, fat is not hot, period.

10. Jan 24, 2006 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, girls want big, but not TOO big.

You can't make that mistake. There is a limit on this.

Sure, the guys are small compared to what is HUGE, but it's big compared to normal.

I workout and have been built, but I've never been built too large. I've noticed that girls think I have a hot body when I reach about 14.5 inch arms give or take, with my body in proportion of course. It seems that I attract a lot more at this size than any other.

You have to remember, some girls are attracted to the riches too.

11. Jan 24, 2006 #10
    im zeus' son :yuck:

12. Jan 24, 2006 #11

Evo

Unless you're Michael Praed. I have been in love with him since he played Robin Hood in the BBC series. His hips and legs are skinnier than mine.

Now this guy is HOT!!!

[​IMG]

13. Jan 24, 2006 #12
    My waist is only 32," but thats not "hot."

Evo, a waist is a terrible thing to mind.

14. Jan 24, 2006 #13

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think its what I call the proportionality factor.

Someone is a attractive when there in proportion......ok let me explain.

Im attracted (physically) more to women who are proportional.
    Disproportionality turns me off. I rather go for a girl with .......how do you say....... "lesser curvature" if her body fits her frame, than a girl who can't stand straight up because of all the silicone. Too me, its too out of proportion.

Maybe its the same for these women atracted to smaller guys. Big guys with gigantic muscles are, just......too big.

As usual, I hope I'm making some kinda sense here.

15. Jan 24, 2006 #14

16. Jan 24, 2006 #15
    ALOT of women liked men who were "buff". They needn't necessarily be Arnold's size just muscular and toned. If you don't believe me go back and look at who were the sex symbols about ten years ago and why. Most (note: not all) were relatively muscular. I think that the thin/compact yet muscular look started to come into fashion with Edward Norton.

Now though with the new trends in pop music the really thin sometimes feminine look popular with indie and emo are becoming more mainstream.

By the way Azael Greek gods generally weren't depicted the way you are describing them. The "beautiful" gods were always depicted as being rather feminine. The gods that were depicted as "manly men" generally were not considered "good looking" per se. Consider that the forger Vulcan/Hephaestus who would most obviously be powerful and muscle bound was depicted as being deformed and ugly.

17. Jan 24, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think JasonRox is lonely :redface:

18. Jan 24, 2006 #17
    wimpy? so you don't want him to stand up to you ever? :eek:

19. Jan 24, 2006 #18

Evo

physically, not mentally

20. Jan 25, 2006 #19
    The skinny, feminine thing has been going on forever. Each generation has at least one very popular skinny, feminine guy. David Bowie, Young Frank Sinatra, are a couple that come to mind. This isn't new.

When I was in college most women I asked about it said that Michelangelo's David represented the most muscles they thought looked good on a guy. Beyond that they felt men started to look grotesque.

Pumping Iron, the documentary that made Arnold Schwartzenegger famous, was aired there, and people's reaction to it was pretty much that it was a film about an obnoxious freak, a kind of study in excess.

21. Jan 25, 2006 #20

russ_watters

Yeah, seriously - no one except little kids ever wanted to be comic book freaks like Arnold or Lou. I've actually never met a person anywhere - even online - who wanted a "Mr Universe" type body. Toby McQuire in Spiderman had a normal, healthy, muscular physique - almost like a wrestler (I was a wrestler). 20 years ago, the standard for good-looking guys in their 20s was "Top Gun" - for teenage guys, it was still Tom Cruise, a few years earlier, in "Risky Business", but remember, even Ashton Kutcher has put on weight since his start as a high-schooler in a sitcom. And go back further and compare Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate" to Tom Cruise in "Risky Business" - it is uncanny how much they look alike. So I don't think all that much has changed.

Edward Norton isn't really considered to be in the same class as Tom Cruise and Ashton Kutcher, so I don't think using him as a benchmark applies.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?