Fast Food and stroke risk

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
LowlyPion
Homework Helper

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm less certain about what is cause and effect, but the correlation is interesting.
Living Near Fast Food Ups Stroke Risk
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/story?id=6914363&page=1

Have the fast food places sited their pick-up windows where their market is, or is the statistical correlation a result of the siting of so many fast food places?

13% looks to be somewhat notable.

Answers and Replies

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
or is the statistical correlation a result of the siting of so many fast food places?
Does living near lots of Mercedes dealerships cause high incomes?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Someone has to be eating all that fast food for them to stay open. :wink:

need more data.

russ_watters
Mentor
Moonbear?!? Did you really think you could sneak back without being noticed? Good to see you!

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MOONBEAR!!!! You're here!!!!!!! OMG!!!! ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug))

Doc Al
Mentor
Moonbear!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi Russ and MIH. Yep, just sneaking in and then heading back out again soon. My computer doesn't work with my boyfriend's internet (yeah yeah yeah, this is a perpetual problem that someday he might have time to call the cable company to fix for me...once in a while I have to let him fix something so I don't totally emasculate him), and he has his laptop with him. So, I'm sitting in the lounge smelling the take-out some other folks are eating in here and getting hungry.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Er... I must be dreaming....

{pinches Moonbie to make sure she's real}

Zz.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
{pinches Moonbie to make sure she's real}
Ow! Some welcome back, getting pinched! :grumpy:

I feel strangely naked without my mentor cape and superpowers.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Hey MB, good to see you popping back in!

Quick.. someone lock the door!! :devil:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Good to see ya back, moonie!
I feel strangely naked ...
And it's nice that you've taking up mooning again!

I'm less certain about what is cause and effect, but the correlation is interesting.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/story?id=6914363&page=1

Have the fast food places sited their pick-up windows where their market is, or is the statistical correlation a result of the siting of so many fast food places?

13% looks to be somewhat notable.
They look at all of the demographics...population density, income, traffic, proximity to commercial/retail/industrial/highways.

~christina~
Gold Member
Welcome back MB :smile:

turbo
Gold Member
There are a lot of things to consider. Normally, fast-food joints in Maine in places that are zoned for commercial development. If you drive around such areas, you don't see nice well-kept houses and grounds. You see apartment buildings (often run-down) small businesses, rent-to-own places, etc. Generally as you sample the demographics in areas such as this, you might expect to see poverty/obesity/stroke risk correlate to some extent.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are a lot of things to consider. Normally, fast-food joints in Maine in places that are zoned for commercial development. If you drive around such areas, you don't see nice well-kept houses and grounds. You see apartment buildings (often run-down) small businesses, rent-to-own places, etc. Generally as you sample the demographics in areas such as this, you might expect to see poverty/obesity/stroke risk correlate to some extent.
My thought, too, turbo. There are a lot of businesses that share that land-use zone...gas stations? Taverns? Laundromats? I bet the correlation holds for a lot of different businesses, not just fast food.

turbo
Gold Member
My thought, too, turbo. There are a lot of businesses that share that land-use zone...gas stations? Taverns? Laundromats? I bet the correlation holds for a lot of different businesses, not just fast food.
Exactly!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Also in the news:

...The key finding: The more cups of coffee participants drank, the less likely they were to report ever being diagnosed with a stroke. For instance, among people who reported drinking one to two cups of coffee per day, 5% reported a history of stroke, compared to 3.5% of people who reported drinking three to five daily cups of coffee and about 3% of people who said they drink six or more cups of coffee per day....
http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/20090219/tea-coffee-may-reduce-stroke-risk?src=RSS_PUBLIC

I should be strokeproof.

Welcome back Moonbear! [I knew she was coming :biggrin:]

I can see where that study may be valid. You can't eat it if it isn't available.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-big-mac-i21111
I can go to the taqueria down the street and buy a one pound buritto loaded with sour cream, guacomole, and cheese with my choice of fatty salty meat. costs about the same as a burger and fries from mcdonalds too.

'Tis better to fast from food than to feed on fast food.

"esearchers studying neighborhoods in one Texas county found that people living in regions with 33 fast food restaurants or more had 13 percent greater odds of stroke than those living in neighborhoods with the fewest fast-food joints. "

I dont know though, who doesnt live close to atleast some fast food places? Theyre everywhere. I wonder how big of a size they count the regions. Unless you live somewhere rural there are always fast food places close by.