Reconciling Energy Losses on Fast Moving Batteries

• Thread starter Joseph14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, when a person on a platform sends a photon towards a train going 1/2 the speed of light, the photon has a higher energy than the photon emitted by the train. The train's kinetic energy is reduced when the photon returns, and the extra energy goes into the photon's momentum.
Joseph14
Lets say I'm in a train going the 1/2 the speed of light. I have a light source that releases signal photons.

I aim the light source in the direction I'm going and release 1 photon. Now my energy supply for the lamp has decreased by hf. From a person on the platform the frequency is shifted so that the energy in the photon is >hf.

Now when the train returns to platform how can the different energy losses be reconciled, so that both people agree on the energy remaining in the power supply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Joseph14 said:
Lets say I'm in a train going the 1/2 the speed of light. I have a light source that releases signal photons.

I aim the light source in the direction I'm going and release 1 photon. Now my energy supply for the lamp has decreased by hf. From a person on the platform the frequency is shifted so that the energy in the photon is >hf.

Now when the train returns to platform how can the different energy losses be reconciled, so that both people agree on the energy remaining in the power supply.
The photon also has momentum. From the recoil, by conservation of momentum, the speed of the train is slightly reduced. The extra energy which goes into the photon comes out of the KE of the train.

DaleSpam said:
The photon also has momentum. From the recoil, by conservation of momentum, the speed of the train is slightly reduced. The extra energy which goes into the photon comes out of the KE of the train.

Thanks.

1. What are the main causes of energy losses on fast moving batteries?

The main causes of energy losses on fast moving batteries include internal resistance, heat dissipation, and electrical losses due to friction and resistance from the surrounding environment.

2. How do these energy losses affect battery performance?

Energy losses can significantly impact a battery's performance by reducing its overall capacity and shortening its lifespan. These losses also lead to decreased efficiency and increased charging times.

3. What measures can be taken to reduce energy losses on fast moving batteries?

To reduce energy losses, it is important to minimize internal resistance by using high-quality materials, optimize battery design for efficient heat dissipation, and reduce friction and resistance with appropriate insulation and protective coatings.

4. Can energy losses be completely eliminated on fast moving batteries?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate energy losses, they can be significantly reduced through proper battery design and management. However, some losses are inevitable and will occur over time due to natural wear and tear.

5. How does the rate of discharge affect energy losses on fast moving batteries?

The faster a battery is discharged, the higher the energy losses will be. This is because rapid discharging generates more heat and increases internal resistance, leading to greater energy losses. Therefore, it is important to carefully manage the rate of discharge to minimize losses and maintain battery health.