Fast moving batteries

• Thread starter Joseph14
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Lets say I'm in a train going the 1/2 the speed of light. I have a light source that releases signal photons.

I aim the light source in the direction i'm going and release 1 photon. Now my energy supply for the lamp has decreased by hf. From a person on the platform the frequency is shifted so that the energy in the photon is >hf.

Now when the train returns to platform how can the different energy losses be reconciled, so that both people agree on the energy remaining in the power supply.

Answers and Replies

Lets say I'm in a train going the 1/2 the speed of light. I have a light source that releases signal photons.

I aim the light source in the direction i'm going and release 1 photon. Now my energy supply for the lamp has decreased by hf. From a person on the platform the frequency is shifted so that the energy in the photon is >hf.

Now when the train returns to platform how can the different energy losses be reconciled, so that both people agree on the energy remaining in the power supply.
The photon also has momentum. From the recoil, by conservation of momentum, the speed of the train is slightly reduced. The extra energy which goes into the photon comes out of the KE of the train.

The photon also has momentum. From the recoil, by conservation of momentum, the speed of the train is slightly reduced. The extra energy which goes into the photon comes out of the KE of the train.
Thanks.