Fast Oxygen Absorber: Solutions for Tiago's Project

• Thread starter tiagobt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxygen
In summary, the speaker is working on a project to develop a medical equipment that can absorb oxygen at a rate similar to the human body. They are looking for a process or substance that can absorb about 200-300 ml of oxygen per minute but cannot use fire or anything that explodes. They initially considered using iron powder but are unsure of its oxidation reaction rate. They then ask for suggestions and someone suggests using standard bulk getters like barium or titanium. The speaker thanks them for the help and expresses their unfamiliarity with the term "bulk getters". They ask for resources or information on where to purchase bulk getters. The conversation also includes references and commercially available getters for further research. One suggestion is using a pyrogallol solution as a potential
tiagobt
I am working on a project of a medical equipment which is supposed to absorb oxygen at a rate similar to the human body. I am looking for a process or a substance that would absorb about 200-300 ml of oxygen per minute. I can't use fire or anything that explodes. I was thinking about iron powder, but I don't think the oxydation reaction would have the correct rate. Does anyone know if iron is OK? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Tiago

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you looked into standar bulk getters like barium or titanium ? By fixing the mass of the getter and its temperature, you can tune the gettering rate.

Thanks a lot for the help. I really think bulk getters are what I need, though I'm not familiar with the term. I've googled "bulk getters", but I didn't find a lot of information that could help me. Do you know any websites or books with information about bulk getters or where to buy them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyrogallol solution?

1. What is a fast oxygen absorber?

A fast oxygen absorber is a material that is used to remove oxygen from a closed environment at a rapid rate. It is typically made of iron powder, sodium chloride, and other ingredients that react with oxygen to form iron oxide, effectively removing it from the surrounding air.

2. How does a fast oxygen absorber work?

Fast oxygen absorbers work through a chemical reaction called oxidation. The iron powder in the absorber reacts with oxygen in the air, forming iron oxide. This process removes oxygen from the surrounding environment, creating a low-oxygen atmosphere.

3. What are the benefits of using a fast oxygen absorber?

There are several benefits to using a fast oxygen absorber, including extending the shelf life of products by preventing oxidation, reducing the growth of mold and bacteria, and preserving the freshness and quality of food and other products.

4. Can fast oxygen absorbers be reused?

No, fast oxygen absorbers cannot be reused. Once they have absorbed oxygen, they become inactive and cannot be reactivated. It is important to use a new absorber each time a product is sealed or stored.

5. How do I choose the right fast oxygen absorber for my project?

The right fast oxygen absorber for your project will depend on several factors, including the type of product being stored, the amount of oxygen that needs to be removed, and the size of the storage container. It is best to consult with a supplier or conduct research to determine the best absorber for your specific needs.