Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fast reactions

1. Apr 26, 2005 #1
    There are several substanecs different only in a chemical group linked to the same opsition for all those substances. how can i know which one reacts fastest ?

ie , OH-R, ON_2-R, O_3P-R, O_4S-R...

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2005 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

It depends what you are trying to do.

If it's aromatic substitution, more negative stuff connected to the aromatic makes a faster reaction. OH on a benzene ring is a very strong activating group, so phenol will react quickly. Same deal with aniline, NH2 is a strong activating group. NO2 on a benzene ring is a strong deactivating group (the oxygens make the nitrogen positive), so nitrobenzene is a slouch when it comes to reactions.

If it's nucleophilic substitution, the speed is determined by the stability of the leaving group. OH is a horrible leaving group, so that is a slow reaction. SO4H is an excellent leaving group, so that will leave quickly. Water is an even better leaving group, so using acid around oxygens makes stuff happen faster (true for both organic and inorganic).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  4. Apr 26, 2005 #3
    Thank you very much,
    But what if I have substances like

OH-R-COOH
    O2N-R-COOH
    O4P-R-COOH
    how can i explain then ?

5. Apr 27, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

which reaction are you referring to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?