Shining a Torch at the Moon: Does Light Travel Faster than c?

In summary, the speed at which the spot of light on the moon's surface moves does not necessarily indicate a physical object moving at that speed. The "spot" is simply individual photons hitting different areas of the moon. The spot can appear to move faster than c, but this does not mean that information is traveling faster than c. The travel time of the photons only introduces a delay, but does not affect the overall speed of the spot. There is no known way to use the spot to send a message at a speed faster than c.
Bruninho
If I shine a torch at the moon the light will after a time be seen on the surface. If I then swing the torch so as to move across the moon does the spot of light on the surface travel faster than c?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. But realize that this does not entail any physical object traveling at that speed.

yes!

photons can travel faster than c, I am gana post a new thread on it right not.

Gamish, the spot is not a thing to move. The spot is just individual photons hitting the moon at a certain place. When you "move the spot" it is just different photons hitting the moon somewhere else. Nothing is moving except the source of the photons.

You are just talking about two different photons hitting two different places very close to each other in time. Nothing moved.

I was thinking a bit more about this, and can even the spot move faster than C? Wouldn't that imply that information can travel faster than C?

Think about a more extreme example. You shine a light 10 light years away in one direction, then flip around to shine on an object 10 light years away in the opposite direction. By the original example the "spot" has moved 20 lightyears in a very short time, but this neglects the travel time for the photons from the flashlight to the object.

I would assume there would be a similar issue on the moon. Or am I misunderstanding something?

gonzo said:
I was thinking a bit more about this, and can even the spot move faster than C? Wouldn't that imply that information can travel faster than C?
Yes, the spot can move faster than c. But as the spot moves from one side of the moon to the other, no information travels between those two points. (Astronauts on opposite sides of the moon cannot use the spot to communicate; the only potential for information transfer is between the light source and the moon, and that information would of course travel at speed c.)
Think about a more extreme example. You shine a light 10 light years away in one direction, then flip around to shine on an object 10 light years away in the opposite direction. By the original example the "spot" has moved 20 lightyears in a very short time, but this neglects the travel time for the photons from the flashlight to the object.
The travel time only introduces a delay in the time it takes the "spot" to reach the object; but that delay is a constant 10 years, so it doesn't affect the "sweep rate" of the spot.

gonzo said:

As far as I know,there's no way you can use that spot to send a message from point A to point B on the moon, at a speed faster than c. If you've nevertheless figured out a way to do it, or read about a way to do it, please tell us about it.

1. What is "Shining a Torch at the Moon: Does Light Travel Faster than c?"

"Shining a Torch at the Moon: Does Light Travel Faster than c?" is a thought experiment that explores the concept of the speed of light and whether it can be exceeded by other sources of light, such as a torch.

2. What is the speed of light (c)?

The speed of light (c) is a physical constant that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. Can light travel faster than the speed of light (c)?

No, according to the laws of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is known as the universal speed limit and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations.

4. What would happen if light could travel faster than the speed of light (c)?

If light could travel faster than the speed of light (c), it would violate the laws of causality and create paradoxes in our understanding of time and space. Additionally, it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object to speeds faster than c.

5. What can we learn from "Shining a Torch at the Moon: Does Light Travel Faster than c?"

While the thought experiment may seem far-fetched, it helps us to better understand the concept of the speed of light and its implications on our understanding of the universe. It also highlights the importance of scientific inquiry and experimentation in uncovering the mysteries of our world.