Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faster than light-yes -but how?

1. May 25, 2004 #1
    If you take the equation for the radius of the event horizon of a black hole and imagine that the mass of a proton is made from lots of tiny masses that form a mini black hole, and that the charge of the proton is made from mini charges that also from a black hole then:

G M/ 3 C^ 2 = K Q / 3 v ^ 2

putting in values for G the gravitational constant , 6.6 x 10^ -11, k the coulomb constant 9.9 x 10 ^ -9, M the mass = 1.6 x 10 ^ -27,
    Q the electric charge = 1.6 x 10 ^ -19, C the speed of light = 3 x 10^8 and v is a new unknown speed, the value of v is 10^23 metresper second!

Whether or not you need nuclear power to get to this speed I couldn't say!

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2004 #2
    If you ask me, I think this is just the wrong way to do physics.
    I don't understand how you got your formula.

4. May 25, 2004 #3
    Formula for schwarzschild radius should be 2GM/ c^2 but result for v is the same.
    I am saying that charges could be masses with a bigger force constant and that just as general relativity which involves mass can be associated with the speed of light,
    there would be a general relativity for charge which can be associated with another
    wave speed.I am putting charge and mass on an equal footing.Relativity theory
    likes things to be unbiased!

5. May 28, 2004 #4
    The problem is you can't just "imagine" those things, its like I say imagine if you didn't need friction to create power, then we could make a pepetual motion machine

6. May 28, 2004 #5
    No need to imagine - the equation only applies accurately to black holes but the wavespeed generated like the wavespeed associated with light would mean that the actual wave can wonder around the universe anywhere.

7. May 28, 2004 #6
    no need to imagine huh?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?