Speed of light and are around black holes

In summary, the particles being shot away from black holes are not actually going faster than light. This has been explained with the use of an example of how an illusion can be created with a pair of scissors. Matter cannot travel faster than light according to the current scientific understanding.
Blueshift5
Hello out there!
This is my first post so I am ready for lots of answers. I have heard from several sources that astronomers studying the area around black holes have discovered particles being shot away faster than the speed of light. I have always understood that nothing can go faster than light, but maybe I am not up to date with the exciting world of changing physics. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
No one has ever observed anything moving faster than light to date. Can you provide a reference to where you read this?

- Warren

My science teacher briefly mentioned it in class and I think I might have seen it at Astronomy.com. Of course when he said this I had to tell him it was impossible at the moment, but he seemed really sure about himself, so since this went against my current understanding. I thought I would post and see if anyone knew for sure if this was ever discovered. Thanks.

Well, your science teacher is not correct. He may be referring to the so-called "superluminal quasar jets," but they are not really going faster than light -- it's just a geometric illusion.

- Warren

Thank you. I will let him know cause he wanted me to prove that it was impossible .

You cannot prove that it is impossible. Scientific theories do not work that way. All you can do is provide a preponderance of evidence in favor of a theory -- but no theory is ever "proven."

- Warren

:smile: Another to add to my arsenal.

I just wanted to interject an example of how a "faster than light" illusion can be created:

Think of a pair of scissors. Open them, then as you close them notice the point at which the two blades meet. See how it appears to be a point that moves? But there is nothing that is actually moving as fast as the illusion of this "point of contact."

I can't remember if this is directly related to the "superluminous quasar jets," but I know it has been used to explain some astronomical "faster than light" observations.

I would say the easiest way to 'prove' to your teacher that matter cannot travel faster than light would be to point out that the relativistic energy of a particle is

[tex]E = \gamma*m*c^2[/tex]

where

[tex] \gamma = 1/(1-v^2/c^2)^{0.5} [/tex]

The Taylor series expansion for this expression can be approximated by, for low speeds, E = mc^2 + (1/2)mv^2 -- where the second term is called the kinetic energy of a particle and the first term is Einstein's 'magical' energy. In reality, both terms together form an approximation of the total "kinetic" (i.e., 'because of motion') energy of the particle.

Using the real equation for E, though, you'd never make the mistake of thinking that something massive could ever acquire a speed of greater than c. Just plug in v = c and see how much energy it would take to make a particle of (rest) mass m go that fast: you get mc^2 divided by zero, which is infinity.

There's not enough energy in a black hole to make even one nucleon exceed the speed of light, let alone continuous streams of superluminal particles.

But, as others have pointed out, this 'proof' is based on the assumption that the relativistic equations are valid. A good scientist would never claim to be sure about *anything* in the real world--there's always the chance that the current theory will be refined or even refuted.

P

moderator edit: fixed TeX

Last edited by a moderator:
[removed LaTex gripe]

Last edited:

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant that represents the speed at which electromagnetic radiation (such as light) travels through a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 186,282 miles per second.

2. How does the speed of light relate to black holes?

The speed of light is an important factor in understanding black holes. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the escape velocity at the event horizon (the point of no return) of a black hole is equal to the speed of light. This means that nothing, not even light, can escape the gravitational pull of a black hole.

3. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. It is currently believed that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

4. How does the presence of black holes affect the speed of light?

The presence of a black hole can cause light to bend due to its strong gravitational pull. This phenomenon is known as gravitational lensing and is often used by scientists to observe distant objects that would otherwise be too faint to detect.

5. Is the speed of light constant around black holes?

Yes, the speed of light is constant in a vacuum, regardless of the presence of a black hole. However, the intense gravity of a black hole can affect the wavelength and frequency of light, causing it to appear redshifted or blueshifted to an observer. This effect is known as gravitational redshift.