CERN's OPERA Experiment: Measuring Faster-Than-Light Speed

In summary, the conversation was about the measurement of a faster-than-light speed at CERN (OPERA). The speaker was unsure if they understood the experiment correctly and asked for clarification. The experiment involved shooting two microwaves, with the second one having to go through a 3-foot metal barrier before reaching the "goal." The second microwave arrived at the "goal" 60 nanoseconds earlier than the first one, which was assumed to be traveling at the speed of light. However, the person summarizing clarified that this was not the actual experiment, and directed the speaker to a source for more information.
halli
I have been reading and I think I understand what they were doing in CERN (OPERA) when they measured a speed faster than light. But I am not sure so I would like to ask you if I understand this right.

As I understand it they "shot" two microwaves. The first one went straight to a "goal" but the second one had to go through a 3 feet metal before reaching the "goal". The second one came to "goal" 60 nano seconds earlier then the first one assumed traveling at the speed of light.

Am I understanding this right?

Science news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. How was the faster-than-light speed measured in the OPERA experiment?

The OPERA experiment used a beam of neutrinos, a type of subatomic particle, in order to measure their speed. The neutrinos were sent from CERN in Switzerland to a detector at the Gran Sasso laboratory in Italy, a distance of about 730 kilometers. The time it took for the neutrinos to travel this distance was measured, and it was found to be about 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light.

2. What is the significance of measuring faster-than-light speed?

The measurement of faster-than-light speed challenges one of the fundamental principles of physics - the speed of light being the ultimate speed limit in the universe. If confirmed, it could potentially lead to a re-evaluation of our understanding of the laws of physics and open up new possibilities for space travel and communication.

3. Were there any errors in the measurement of faster-than-light speed in the OPERA experiment?

Upon further investigation, it was found that the initial measurement of faster-than-light speed in the OPERA experiment was due to a faulty fiber optic cable connection. The experiment was repeated and the results showed that neutrinos do indeed travel at the speed of light, as predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. How did the scientific community react to the initial results of the OPERA experiment?

The initial results of the OPERA experiment caused a lot of excitement and debate within the scientific community. Some scientists were skeptical of the results and called for further testing, while others were intrigued by the possibility of faster-than-light travel. However, the majority of the scientific community remained cautious and waited for further evidence before drawing any conclusions.

5. What are the implications of the OPERA experiment for the future of physics research?

The OPERA experiment and its initial results have sparked new discussions and research on the topic of faster-than-light travel and its implications for our understanding of the universe. It has also highlighted the importance of rigorous testing and verification in scientific experiments, as even small errors can have significant impacts on the results. Overall, the OPERA experiment has opened up new avenues for exploration and potential breakthroughs in the field of physics.